Lathe and plaster ceiling sagging in one area, rip down or just overboard?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AdamJS44, Mar 21, 2019.

1. AdamJS44

AdamJS44 New Member

Question as above. The ceiling is sagging to what I believe is a slight amount, judging by level and Mk1 Eyeball.

I'm going to have to rip down a portion of the ceiling as this has been bodge repaired and sits a few mm below the rest of the ceiling. Is it worth ripping the whole thing down? The only thing holding me back is the tales of biblical dust and debris.

Would overboarding effectively pull the sag in or would it do nothing to help?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Over boarding wouldn't guarantee sag free. Nor would ripping down and reboarding if the joists are out of line with one another or indeed sagging themselves. If it's the joists, then you'd have to pull it all down and plant timber on the sides of the joists to bring it all level and flat. I'm always in favour of ripping down, can upgrade lighting, patch unseen damage, find old treasure etc, but then I love making a mess and putting it back together. Yes, the dust is epic, and you'll be discovering black aliens up your nose for a day or two.

PhilSo, KIAB and rogerk101 like this.
  3. AdamJS44

AdamJS44 New Member

Think the joists are alright. The visible ceiling damage can be attributed to leaks, signs of water damage etc. I'll get up in the loft and see how level the joists are up there before i make a decision.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

In the long run it's best to rip the lot down,messy job, but the best option.

Seal doorways open window, & have it down.:)

Ripped down a ceiling some years ago, got smacked just above my left eye by a lone brick,resulted in 8 stitches,so you never know what you'll find.

5. Having recently taken down a couple of ceilings recently and most of the rest of the house before that, as above long run better option take it down, if anything like mine you'd struggle to get a clean line to just take part of it down and then board anyway.

6. AdamJS44

AdamJS44 New Member

I'll have to move the insulation back in the attic anyhow so I'll give the area a bit of a sweep anyway, if I go that route. Luckily I'm not living there right now so mess isn't a huge concern, just low flying bricks! How long do you reckon it'd take to have a 3.5x3.5m ceiling down?

7. AdamJS44

AdamJS44 New Member

Leaning more to this option now. Especially as I'd like to put downlights in too which I'm finding is a bit of a minefield with lathe and plaster.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You didn't mention it was an upstairs ceiling, it's quite possible the ceiling joists are sagging then, probably only 3 or 4x2's. If you do decide to remove and fit new, open all the windows and kick it down from up above.

chippie244 likes this.
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Couple of hours including denailing the joists and taking all the rubbish out. Days to clear all the dust.

10. AdamJS44

AdamJS44 New Member

Think it's going to be a case of biting the bullet...

11. Upstairs in mine I left the lathes to avoid moving all the insulation and then boarded over them, locally fixing any that were obviously loose.

Obviously can't kick it down from above but didn't take long. As above clean up is longer than the demo. Recommend you get the best dust mask you can.

12. AdamJS44

AdamJS44 New Member

Would you recommend getting the plaster off? I was thinking of removing lathes where I want to put downlights but doing it from above once I'd boarded.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just take the lot down, it's the easiest option.

14. Yes plaster was removed (as it was loose anyway) just left the lathes. As Kiab states above easier to do the lot, however I choose not to to avoid the insulation/de-nailing.

15. AdamJS44

AdamJS44 New Member

Thanks very much for your help. Boards ordered, I'll investigate the joists tonight and if they're level I think I'll have the lot down.

16. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

have you thought of a false ceiling

17. AdamJS44

AdamJS44 New Member

I'd not really, battons and fix the plasterboard to that I'm assuming?

18. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

yes no dust but larger wood go for same size as what is ther now

19. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Prop up bulge then vacuum dust from other side. Thin Pva then pour plaster over and rough trowel.. Leave 12 hours and pull out prop. Ceiling will be solid

20. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

It's difficult to find a decent dust mask, thing is they all steam up your glasses and so you can't see what your doing.

Bluebells likes this.