Laying 18mm tounge and groove chipboard

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Zubair Nazir, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Zubair Nazir

Zubair Nazir New Member

Hi guys,

Just wondering if I should just lay the boards and screw them, I've heard you have to glue them with something. What glue would you recommend and is there anything that I have missed?

Which screws are the best, I hate making pilot holes as it's going to be long winded.

Cheers guys

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Are these flooring panels you’re laying? If so, yes - the joints need to be glued. Fix the panels down in a staggered ‘brick’ pattern. Any decent wood glue will do, such as this;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-wood-adhesive-interior-500ml/59593

It also comes in a bigger 1-litre bottle if you have a large area to do. Run a good dose of glue along the top and bottom of each tongue, and don’t forget the ends.

For no-pilot screwing, a good quality rifled-shank driving screw is best. For 18mm panels into joists, a 40mm screw is ample. Make absolutely sure that none of the joists have pipes or cables notched into the surface - avoid these obviously, and make sure your joints are nice and tight before screwing down.

Decent screws from our hosts are these;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/turbogol...k-multipurpose-screws-4-x-40mm-200-pack/14973

Screw every 500mm or so.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Zubair Nazir and pppmacca43 like this.
  3. Zubair Nazir

Zubair Nazir New Member

Hi, thank you for replying. They are 2400 by 600 boards.

4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

All as above then. Hope it goes well !!

Zubair Nazir likes this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Mark on the boards where any services are as you lay them. This will help anyone in future who may need to access them for whatever reason.

Zubair Nazir likes this.
  6. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

If it’s a suspended ground floor and isn’t insulated i’d do that first as well.

Zubair Nazir likes this.
  7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I would use Reisser Cutter 4x40 screws and they will countersink themselves.

Screw on every joist - around 50mm from te edge and one in the centre.

Zubair Nazir likes this.
  8. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I used d4 glue on the tongue and the groove, on the ends too, I also put a bead of glue on the joists as well, I used spax chipboard screws, they were expensive but really were brilliant screws.

Zubair Nazir likes this.