Laying a gas pipe under cement/concrete

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by richard1991, Apr 17, 2015.

1. richard1991

richard1991 New Member

I'm wanting a gas pipe to go under the concrete floor in my home. I'm wanting to prepare the situation so that when a registered gas fitter lays the pipe, he/she can do so, without channeling out.

As I understand things, the gas pipe laid must be plastic covered. Whether it is to be directly set in concrete or passed through a tube (plastic or copper) previously set on concrete. This is what the gas fitter attends to.

But, in relation to issues that affect what I can attend to, I believe the pipe must be at least 25mm from the floor surface. Also, that the pipe should be at least 25mm from other pipes.

Not sure if there is anything else relevant to the making of the channel that I am going to make for the pipe. Please comment if there is anything I should know. Thanks.

2. Ian Dagger

Ian Dagger New Member

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Section 7(3) No person shall install a gas fitting in a position where it is likely to be exposed to any substance which may corrode gas fittings unless the fitting is constructed of materials which are inherently resistant to being so corroded or it is suitably protected against being so corroded.
    Enclosed pipes
    19.—(1) No person shall install any part of any installation pipework in a wall or a floor or standing of solid construction unless it is so constructed and installed as to be protected against failure caused by the movement of the wall, the floor or the standing as the case may be.

(2) No person shall install any installation pipework so as to pass through a wall or a floor or standing of solid construction (whether or not it contains any cavity) from one side to the other unless—

(a)any part of the pipe within such wall, floor or standing as the case may be takes the shortest practicable route; and

(b)adequate means are provided to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, any escape of gas from the pipework passing through the wall, floor or standing from entering any cavity in the wall, floor or standing.

Ideally the gas pipes should be protected by a suitable method such as a plastic sleeve and have a 25 mm gap from the top of the pipe to the top of the screed.

3. Danscott123

Danscott123 New Member

Maybe look into trac pipe as this would allow there to be no joints under the floor and I beleive it comes already protected with a plastic coating

4. Richard, quite clearly from Ian's post, the concrete will have to be reinforced or substantial to prevent movement, particularly if copper pipe is used.

Trac pipe would be most ideal as it has more tolerance, it is flexible and will be less affected by the corrosive power of the cement in the concrete.