laying engineering bricks on slab or footings

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by allrounder55, May 16, 2018.

1. allrounder55

allrounder55 New Member

Hello. Im a time served plasterer. I've been asked to build a 6m x4 m concrete block shed with a double apex roof. There's an existing concrete slab which the original sheds on around 4m x 3m. I'm looking to dig out and extend the slab. My question is can I lay the bricks off the slab or I's it better to lay off a footing ? I'd have to dig a small trench around the existing slab. I'm not using concrete blocks below dpc. Only above then the blocks are being rendered. Tiled roof felt and battens first.

2. allrounder55

allrounder55 New Member

I don't know what existing brickwork, blockwork is already there. Until the sheds demolished and the sites cleared. If I lay off a slab im at dpc level already?

3. Masoud Anwar

Masoud Anwar New Member

hello mate, did you complete this shed project? if so how did you go about the foundations? i.e how deep was your trench around the slab to support concrete block pls

4. allrounder55

allrounder55 New Member

Hello update with the shed hes decided to go for timber instead of concrete, so a lot easier now. Will be extending the existing slab then laying 2 courses of engineering blues off the slab, then building the timber frame off that using 4 x 2 instead of 3 x 2 as its 16' x 12' so quite big.

5. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Check original slab for level, easier to lay a few inches to level before walls go up