Laying laminate floor in the kitchen

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by DIY Mike, Nov 6, 2003.

1. DIY Mike

DIY Mike New Member

I'm using a dry click fit laminate floor in the kitchen. I know laminate is not recommended for wet rooms. Anyone tried a think smear of PVA glue along the join to create a seal? Will this affect the 'click together'?

2. WOLF

WOLF New Member

only to the point of that you will not be able to undo it again with out doing damage..and at the moment there is lam flooring down in our kitchen, and it's scene 5 yrs of use so far..( a temp floor as i'm knocking the house to how we want it)

3. grammy

grammy New Member

Most of the DIY shops do a sealant you can put on the joints of click together flooring without making them stick allowing removal later if required. My local B&Q stocks the product.

4. dell boy

dell boy New Member

Hi chaps,
    why not just buy flooring from B&Q specialy for kitchens, Its "great".

Hope it helps

dell boy

5. DIY Mike

DIY Mike New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Have decided to just go with PVA as:
    1 already bought the floor
    2 have no inention of talking it up again (you know what the shape of a typical kitchen is like!!
    3 nearest B&Q is over 16 miles away (haven't seen it in Homebase)

My main concern was that it would affect the click together, but there's loads of room for glue.

Cheers

6. jj

jj New Member

Having had one laminate floor lift an peel (after a washing machine leak) and it was recommended for kitchens ! but did state spills must be wiped up asap, I went with the Wickes thicker laminate, the actual hard-wood top is 4ish mm thick which allows sanding if needed and has a pine back. Since then the washing machine has leaked again and the floor has been perfect. So it's alright sealing the joints from the top, but what about big spills or leaks that get in through the sides or bottom. Also the thinner laminates are easily damaged, being in a kitchen a can of beans (or whatever) knocked off a worktop or dropped will burst through to the substrate. The thicker laminate just slightly dents (I know this from experience)

Most places will do a refund - cant you take it back ?