Laying Laminate flooring

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by TonyS82, Aug 23, 2021.

1. TonyS82

TonyS82 New Member

Hi, I will be laying laminate flooring in my bedroom at the weekend and wanted some advice regarding the best position to start from so I don't end up with a thin cut somewhere.

The planks I have are 193mm x 1200mm.

Here is the layout of the room.

upload_2021-8-23_20-12-48.png
    Thanks Tony

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Big bedroom. Run the planks from left to right, so in the direction of the light sources ie the windows and the longest run so will look aesthetically better. You may find a thin sliver unavoidable depending how square the walls are, the amount of projections and where they fall upon a run of planks. Allow 10mm expansion gap at both edges then measure the distance remaining and divide that into your plank widths and see how it works out, or find the centre both ends and snap a chalk line, then screw a batten to the line and lay the boards against the batten to one edge, pack them tight then remove the batten and lay the other half of floor, or use the chalkine to determine which direction to move the planks to try to get close to full planks start and finish.

Also consider where bedroom furniture, drawers, wardrobes, table may live to disguise any slivers of floor if it is unavoidable.

3. TonyS82

TonyS82 New Member

Thanks jord. I was thinking of using a string line in the centre to check how square the walls are and work out how narrow i can cut the first plank in the top left alcove to leave a reasonable width plank to go under the door frame.
    I was thinking the door would be easier to do first