laying oak flooring

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by cer the chippy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. cer the chippy

cer the chippy New Member

Hi
    i'm going into a carpentry apprentiship next year so I am not an expert in carpentry yet.
    we had a slate floor laid a while ago in our kitchen but it was not laid very good and we want to replace it with sold oak floor in the future. we will pull up the slate before laying the oak but it is a soilid floor below the slate. is it best if I put joists and noggins in out of 45x45(2x2)higher the room then lay the oak with tong tite hidden screws or do I fix them with grip fill straight to the soilid floor.Just looking for advice or any other methods on doing it.
    Thanks ceri

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't use gripfill, use elastilon or similar self adhesive underlay.

3. Guest

you can buy solid oak flooring now that you just click together so it will be a floating floor little more expensive than the type you are talking about i think you can get from bq wickes or homebase hope this is of help to you

4. two by one

two by one New Member

Why not wait until you do your training? If you read these forums you will see there are many problems associated with oak floors, principally from moisture and expansion.

Avoiding these and getting levels right is not always straightforward. Also thresholds need to be dealt with correctly. Basically it is fairly easy to get it wrong, hence the popularity of the more stable engineered boards!

5. Richard1957

Richard1957 New Member

Hi. I agree with "two by one". You have a whole host of issues that need to be addressed before you lay a new floor. Ripping up the slate "may" give you some big problems, for a start, if it is well fixed down then the screed, or some of it, may well come up with it!! So you could be looking at a whole new screed, or considerable patching in, before you even start. Then you'll need to level it.
    I too would recommend a good quality engineered board over a solid in this situation, much less likley to give problems!! Height levels are also an issue, especialy if you have slot in appliances, washing machine, dishwasher, dryer etc, will you have enough clearance under the work top after the floor has been fitted, baring in mind that the floor will run into the recesses. Are you taking the whole kitchen out or just the flooring? How many doors have you got? What are the levels between rooms like,"Thresholds" !!?? Do you really need to rip the slate up? Could you latex level it and then lay over?? If you have to go ahead with it then I would suggest that you get some one who knows what they are doing to come out and have a look at it for you and talk through what needs to be done.As with everything, correct preperation and forward planning is the key, identify the problems and get solutions "BEFORE YOU START". Its dead easy to lay a floor badly. I know, I have seen loads of them!!! Good Luck..

6. cer the chippy

cer the chippy New Member

hi
    thanks for the advice
    we was going to pull out the kitchen because the slate goes under it. There is three doors (two internal and one external) plus a step leading to the second tier of the room and another slate step leading up to a stair case. Which will be replaced after the oak is fitted.The screed under the slate is fairly level am not going to atempt it on my own or without therther advise from a local chippy.Also it will get done after I have been two collage for at least 2 years.It is so I can get a price together for my parents to know how much money the get saved up ready for the job.
    Thanks ceri

7. essex-fitter

essex-fitter New Member

Please use the spell check!.......