Laying planks over floor panels

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Vroom, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Vroom

Vroom Member

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, folks. Given me plenty of food for thought.

2. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Minimal?
    When humidity rises the moisture content of the baord rises, this makes the board expand, take for example
    red oak (change coefficient = .00369) board 5 inches wide experiences a moisture content change from 6 to 8 percent--a change of only 2 percentage points.
    2 x .00369 = .00738 x 5 = .0369 inches
    so if you have a 15' wide room you will use 36 boards x .0369 = 1.3284"
    Clause for badly fitted floors, no.
    floors that fail are usually badly maintained, if you check the weather today in london on the bbc website you will find the relative humidity is 95, if you look at tuesdays forcast it is 66, quite a shift, now check the tolerances for humidity of solid wood floors and you will find that 95 is well above the recomended and will certainly cause the floor to move dramatically.
    Just because when we fit a floor and check the rh is ok doesn't mean it will be ok next month or next year.
    We all know that solid floors are less dimensionally stable than engineered and laminates and nailing is the best and safest way to minimise chances of the floor failing.
    In perfect conditions, constant 22 deg room with 50% rh and well seasoned and aclimatised timber yes it will be perfect but in the real world this never happens.
    The bulk of solid wood on the market these days is russian swamp oak milled in china and shipped and sold in the uk at rock bottom prices.
    Do you think they could give a monkeys about quarter cut and naturally seasoned, i think not, it is cut to give the least waste and dried as quickly as possible.
    Then we have to go and fit it and make a "silk purse"
    The fact is that most of the solid around is **** and will move warp twist cup crack and worse, buy nailing it you minimise this.

3. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

Full marks for taking the time for posting such a errr comprehensive reply which looks very impressive ,but is totally meaningless .
    You remind me of the old fashioned estate agents that use prod the internal walls of houses with their damp o meters (strange how every house use to have rising damp,still must of been true ,it said so on the meter) when they where doing a house visit to value a property lol
    Lets keep this bit of balony to ourselfs and hope the punters keep on falling for it

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

So i asume you take no notice at all of the conditions of the rooms you are fitting in and give no advice to your customers as how best to look after their floor.
    I'll keep fitting my way and keep advising my customers how best to protect their investment.
    Keeps my callbacks to zero for my jobs and fills my diary for january to do others repairs.
    I pretty much agree with this firm, have a look
    http://www.hoskinghardwood.com/solid-wood-flooring.asp

5. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

As audi evo says the humidity has a huge effect my outlaw has had a Junkers floor down for 20 odd years but recently came up 3" in the middle having measured the humidity in the room because of the recent weather it has been over 76% for most of the last month and she has been running a small dehumidifier almost constantly the floor has now more or less laid back down. The only fault we found with the floor was at 2 points.
    Relatively new work in the house - alterations had not left sufficient expansion gaps - although the floor was only being pinched in 2 relatively small areas about half a linear metre on one side and around a door opening on the other. These were obviously sufficient with the high humidity to get the floor which had laid flat for 20 years to suddenly rise 3".

Shedmen

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Cheers shed,
    being a retailer and having a showroom that i sell from i can't really give customers the old "it was ok when i left" line, i have a resposibility to advise customers on how to look after their floor.
    I also want to, it is in my interest to do a good job, it is still the best advert you can have.
    As you say a floor can be fine for years before developing a problem.
    A dehumidfier can be picked up for around £60 nowadays so isn't a big expense if you have a nice floor worth thousands.
    Also if you want to check rh levels you can buy a cheapo thermo hygrometer from your home brew shop for a tenner and although not a professional meter they will give a good guide.