Laying Slabs and drainage confirmation

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by David Laws, Jul 5, 2017.

1. David Laws

David Laws New Member

I have no idea on this stuff and got a landscaper to do the work. Unfortunately I was away for 5 days and I feel dubious about the work that's been carried out. Please excuse my terminology!

A patio has been laid in an ____l (L shape) 4m x 3m with a 6cm gradual sloap to grill drainage which meets the rest of the patio of 10m x 5m with a 10cm gradual slope from one end to the other where it meets a party wall which I think is too steep. Is this something to worry about?

I'm a bit annoyed as I requested for the drain at the end of that slopes to connect to the existing surface water drain however it seems they have just put a grill with a soakaway (I.e rainwater to drain into the ground illustrated by the squiggly lines below) and not added a drainage to exiting drain.
    . |
    { ______~

I don't mind what they do as long as it's correct but I don't know any better. My worry is all the rainwater for the 12 and 50 sqr meters or so will be directed into the ground possibly causing a weakness in that area where the water is being accumulated and drained. Is this something to worry about?

They have also left about an inch gap between the building and the slabs to act like soak away. The slabs were laied on hard-core and cement and joints have were filled with cement.

As part of the job, they have also erected a 1.2 meter retaining wall that holds 40sqr meter bank of soil in a double skin (brick and breezblock) wall but not added a gravel wall behind it to soakaway water. I've read this is essential so water can be drained into the ground to prevent a push from the muddy bank. Is this something to worry about?

Thank you in advance.