Laying solid oak floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DaveHerts, Jan 27, 2017.

1. DaveHerts

DaveHerts Member

So a few years ago I did my lounge in 18mm solid oak boards ( random lengths). I over bought so had a bunch left. In the lounge I usedself adhesive underlay to fix the floor as it was a concrete subfloor.

My bathroom has a new 5mm hardwood ply subfloor and wondering how to fix the oak boards. Gas nailer? something else? Any tips?

2. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Hi Dave,

Presumably you will be doing this as a one off so I would get down to your local hire shop and hire a nailer, buy the correct nails and make sure you get the plastic/nylon mallet. Whilst you're there ask if they have a small 10inch sliding mitre saw for making the end cuts and a small stand. You might also need a small saw for cutting the door linings to slide the flooring under the lining foot. I hope you are going to take the skirts off and make a proper job of reattaching the skirts over the flooring.

You could of course get a tradesman in and not bother with all this extra fuss.