Laying T & G floorboards

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Floorboards, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Floorboards

Floorboards New Member

Over the past few days have pulled up floorboards in the hall and replaced with pine T & G floorboards. All pretty straightforward except for one small section. After laying them I noticed a slight movement when I walked over this section - it is 3 floorboards wide and around one joist. When a pressed down on either side of the joist it would squeak and when I walked over it was more a light lifting up and down.

To try and resolve I took them all up and looked at the joist where offending noise was coming from. Couldn't see any issue with beam but added a 2x2 length on each side to added stability. As I replaced each floorboard I tested to see if movement still there and no noise. However, this evening after relaying the whole lot the noise is back again! It doesn't seem quite as bad but still enough to drive me mad. I want to get it sorted before laying tiles over it but not sure what to do to resolve??

Any assistance would be greatly received.

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Worth saying how you laid them. Squeaking is normally the boards moving up and down on the nails rather than noise from the joist itself. Screwing down rather than nailing normally eliminates it. Likewise the movement you describe is more likely to be boards not properly fixed down, particularly if they had a bit of a bow to them.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

When I lay floors nowadays I glue and screw them
    I use Gorilla glue because it expands so will fill smallish gaps between the floorboards and the joists.
    I use screws with a threadless top the same length as the thickness of the floorboards, so that there is no thread preventing the floorboards from being pulled right down to the joists.
    I gave up using nails years ago ... around the time when screws and nails became roughly the same price.

4. Floorboards

Floorboards New Member

Thanks for reply - have used screws (and lots of them) so can't be that. Useful to know that it is not likely to be the joist that is the issue - the board that is the issue had to be forced in so maybe its an issue with this piece of floorboard. Will look to replace this to see if makes any difference.

5. Floorboards

Floorboards New Member

Thanks for response - screws have been used. Decent ones as well and have had no issues with them before. Never gone down the glue route as thought it might make difficult to take up in case of any issues. However, appreciate that using glue might prevent any issues!