Laying tiles offset pattern

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Fifty_Fifty, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Fifty_Fifty

Fifty_Fifty New Member

Hi. The wall tiles for our bathroom have been chosen by the Boss lady. I'm about to lay them and just noticed the box says not to lay in offset pattern, only straight. Our plan was always to lay in offset pattern as we think it will look better.

There's no explanation given on the box, I'm assuming it's down to the manufacturing curvature of the tile making lippage more obvious if you stagger the joints....
    Does that sound about right? I can't see that is a strength or adhesion reason...unless I'm missing something.
    Thanks

2. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Have you a picture of the tiles?

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

You could always dry lay some on a flat surface and see what it looks like

4. Fifty_Fifty

Fifty_Fifty New Member

Pics attached. I've placed a few upside down on the table and you can feel some slight lippage when you brick bond lay them, but its only a tiny amount.
    Unless there is a structural reason why, i might just carry on.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      171.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      188.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Ah yeah most types of that size are recommended to only overlap a third. I’ve done the same tiles half offset. Just take your time and depending what your walls/floor is like be prepared to play around with them a little bit. Definitely no structural reason

6. Fifty_Fifty

Fifty_Fifty New Member

Great thanks. I'll go for it and just take my time to get them as even as possible.

7. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Any tiles that are bowed try keep them for the cuts and don’t mix up to much adhesive in one go.

8. Fifty_Fifty

Fifty_Fifty New Member

Thanks...

9. hairymaclary

hairymaclary New Member

This is when levelling clips can help. If your tiles are bowed the clips will help to pull them flat while the adhesive sets. Here's a bathroom I tiled the other month with the same size tiles as yours which were all bowed. Clips were essential in this case.

Attached Files:

10. Fifty_Fifty

Fifty_Fifty New Member

Nice. Ive used those clips before on the kitchen floor (plank tiles in offset pattern) and they helped a lot. Just didn't consider them on the walls for some reason .