Laying turf in winter

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Pro J, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Pro J

Pro J New Member

Hi all,
    Can someone let me know if I'm wasting time and money?
    I'm trying to get the garden level to lay some new turf and ordered topsoil to fill a couple of big gaps (10cm deep) and level the rest up to the edge of the new patio (5cm of soil).
    The soil that was delivered seems more like clay and just turned into a bog. I've dug the deep section back out and filled it with soil and dry compost, but it's still pretty bouncy. I've got more soil coming tomorrow, but it feels like I'm wasting my time while it's so wet outside. I tried adding sharp sand, but didn't seem to do anything.

Any recommendations/advice?

Attached Files:

2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

The weather might turn colder and drier after Xmas.

3. Kingscurate

Kingscurate Active Member

Go on rolawn website. Top info there. In fact i used them when i relaid some turf.

4. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Not an ideal time to lay turf, but can still be done.

5. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

It's not too late to lay it ... ideally mid autumn, but you're OK in Winter as long as it's not too wet or too much of a long cold snap (who can predict?)

From the look and the sounds of it your ground is too wet right now.
    I personally would wait a week or two to see if it dries out- unless you've got the turf ?

Then all you can do is try and get as fine a tilth as possible for the roots to grow/ knit into.
    Be careful not to compact the ground too much so that water just sits there, grass and water go ok together when stablished, but you don't want root rot

Good luck if you go ahead now ... try not to walk on it too much when doing the preparation, boards to stand on, to spread out your weight if you can