LCD versus Plasma?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Virtual Voodoo, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Everybody sees a different picture..;-)

2. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

the samsung SP50L7HX is def the coolest looking tv around and ........................... it's on a stand!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

3. Virtual Voodoo

Virtual Voodoo New Member

nah told you get one of these

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.
    php?reviewid=5412

And I said I'd got a " nice round Grand" to spend!

If you'd like to post a link to a site that's flogging them for 1K then I shall be only too pleased to follow your recommendation! ;)

4. Virtual Voodoo

That review is a year out of date too!

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

6. Virtual Voodoo

Will that fit over the Fire Place audi?

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

may not look the best and you might loose part of your bedroom floor but hey where there's a will ;)
    But that aside go and take a look at one in the flesh, they are very impressive, and £700-00 less than i paid, what a bargain!

8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Samsung make an HD ready 32" CRT TV.

(So do Philips, but they don't sell it in the UK.)

Will it hang on the wall? Course it bl**dy won't

Will it give better pictures than either LCD or plasma? Course it bl**dy will.

Will it cost you a grand? Course it bl**dy won't - you can get two of them for less than that - another way in which CRTs are better...

9. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

HD ready isn't true HD and when HD isn't so thin on the ground, you'll regret purchasing HD 'ready'.

10. markysparky

markysparky New Member

11. Virtual Voodoo

Samsung make an HD ready 32" CRT TV.

Right OK!

(So do Philips, but they don't sell it in the UK.)

Right OK!

Will it hang on the wall? Course it bl**dy won't

Well that's no use then is it!

Will it give better pictures than either LCD or
    plasma? Course it bl**dy will.

Irrelevant now!

Will it cost you a grand? Course it bl**dy won't -
    you can get two of them for less than that - another
    way in which CRTs are better...

Irrelevant now!

12. Virtual Voodoo

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Oh really? Taken the trouble to find out what it means, and how the use of the official HD Ready logo is regulated?

If you don't believe Samsung, I suggest you get in touch with the Trading Standards people.

Secondly, even if you are right, by the time free-to-air HD TV is the norm, my sub-£400 TV won't owe me anything. And who knows - maybe by then plasma or LCD screens will have improved.

14. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

15. ProDave

ProDave New Member

Just some thoughts:

If you are going to put it above the fireplace, isn't that a bit high? Try spending the whole evening looking at a picture there first and see if you get a stiff neck.

I assume you have a Sky digibox or Freeview box, and probably a VCR or PVR? Where are you going to put them?

It's all very well having a nice flat hang on the wall television, but you still have to put all your boxes somewhere, and connect them to the TV, which usually means building some ducting into the wall to hide all the cables. So make sure you get the location right first time.

16. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

HD ready isn't true HD[/QUOTE]Oh really?
    Taken the trouble to find out what it means, and
    nd how the use of the official HD Ready logo is
    regulated?

If you don't believe Samsung, I suggest you get in
    touch with the Trading Standards people.

Firstly, I believe that we are all
    going to be watching SD TV for a long time to come.
    Universal HD is several years away. I know that it
    t is available now via Sky and Telewest, but I
    have no interest in becoming one of their customers,
    and there are some high definition DVD players on the
    market, but currently there are competing standards
    and they are, from what I have read, of disappointing
    quality.

Secondly, even if you are right, by the time
    free-to-air HD TV is the norm, my sub-£400 TV won't
    owe me anything. And who knows - maybe by then
    plasma or LCD screens will have improved.

It came from an NEC distributor that HD ready isn't infact true HD, hence, the few available 'HD' sets, and the rest, 'HD Ready', rather than actually 'HD'.

So, that would explain the regulation of the HD ready logo, if it is regulated, the fact there is a difference between HD and HD ready.

So, yes, I had taken the time to find out what it means, when I was told by an NEC distributor with access to some very fine equipment indeed.

And as you say, yes universal HD is a while away yet, which to me, makes the purchase of an HD ready or HD set a bit pricey and pointless, as when HD material is more available, the price of a set and a better set will be far cheaper.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

There is no LCD or Plasma TV made which can match a reasonable quality CRT TV.....yes the picture on a laptop screen or monitor or small LCD Plasma/LCD can look good but the norm is around 17 inches for these and the picture only looks reasonable due to the small size....expand and pixelation/color abnormalities show up particularly on black rendering....and motion blur sometimes comes into play even on 8 ms response times Give it say another couple of years for the technology to improve on Plasma/LCD screens and then it might be on par with CRT.....and I stress the word might....incidentally the key player in the manufacture of LCD/Plasma screens is Samsung.....used in quite a lot of other make TV'S.....this company is the de facto standard for screens and if you buy a Plasma/LCD it would be worthwhile to check out if it in fact uses a Samsung panel

18. Nutty Oak

Nutty Oak New Member

Go for LCD. Despite claims from Panasonic (as they are the major player in the plasma field) plasmas will have a shorter shelf life than a LCD. Screen burn shouldn't be underestimated if you watch alot of Sky based TV with all the onscreen logos and interactive buttons splattered all over the screen. They do however give better blacks and less motion blur than LCD's.

Get a set from the Tosh WLT66 range, a 32" is about £750, wait a five or six years till HD is widespread, then get yourself a SED set. SED is the way forward.

19. Virtual Voodoo

:)

I might just not bother at all and spend me grand on a new Bathroom instead!

20. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

ah but will you put the bath against the wall or go for one of those free standing fellows?
    What about a corner one, and taps have you seen them all?
    Oh yes hand basin, match the bath or maybe a nice glass one, woo could be worse than choosing a tv!!!!!!!!