Lead Flashing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by problem, Apr 8, 2005.

1. problem

problem New Member

the flashing that comes with conservatorys is it ianygood or should i replace it with proper stuff?
    PASLODE

2. Stevemastic

Stevemastic Member

It's up to you, I always use the heavy stuff! I think it looks better and lasts longer

3. problem

problem New Member

thanks steve, what do i do at the join with the lead and brick i was thinkin lead mate sealent? is it recomened?
    PASLODE

4. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

You mean the stick to wall stuff that peels off after a year or so, I avoid it, saw a brilliant adaptation of stepped flashing today, instead of raking out mortar and stepping the flashing, get a 9" angle grinder and stone disc, cut your two diagonal lines to the roof apex, just two bits of flashing. Looked absolutely terrible, never seen it done like that before. Anyone used the leadmate for filling mortar lines, gave it a try last year and no probs so far.

5. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

I liked the lead mate as you can pump it to the back of the lead and finish off the brick face and lead with the old wet finger technique, dries like silicon.

6. problem

problem New Member

jason when do i fit the flashing because it doesnt say on the fiting instructions i was thinkin just after i put the roof frame up ? yeh it is the self adhesive stuff and i have to say it dint look to good but wot size will i need (width) and do i make a template or sumthing for the steps ? cheers
    PASLODE

7. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

8. HAMMERBOY

HAMMERBOY New Member

Paslode .... definitely bin the flash band and buy some code 4. It looks infinitely better and will last even longer !!

I've had a look at this link which Jason has kindly supplied . When i did my conservatory flashing i did it in 2 parts ie. first section incorporating "A" and "B" (upstand and dress over the roof) , then another section incorporating "B,C,D". As opposed to doing it all in on hit . Lead is a pain to work with ( though i'm sure the pros are well versed ) and i certainly found doing it this way more manageable and you may also if it's your first time.

This looks like a very useful link , make sure you have a good 25mm in the wall, wedge it well so the lead doesn't move and mortar it in to give best finish.

Jason .... i used this method several years ago on my first house ... quicker than stepping and easier for a first timer. You're right it looks awful up close but not so bad from 25 ft away !!

9. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

Sentiments exactly, my wife looks stunning from 25 feet:)

10. HAMMERBOY

HAMMERBOY New Member

11. HAMMERBOY

HAMMERBOY New Member

12. problem

problem New Member

rights thanks ill pop down to the keyline monday code 4?
    Anyway thanks jason123 for that link it has provided some great help to me and hammer boy as well cheers
    PASLODE

13. Paslode stepped flashing is a doddle realy....lots easier than you would think and looks great. Work in 1.5mtr lengths. If you decide to go with it post again and I will go through it with you ... what have you to loose if you only bugger up a couple of mtrs of lead at worse.. you may surprise yourself and be delighted if you get it on!!

14. problem

problem New Member

rite ill go with the stepped flashing robbo thanks
    PASLODE

15. problem

problem New Member

and if you could give me some advice on the stepped flashing robbo tools, mats etc
    PASLODE