Lead Free Solder

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Monty125, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Monty125

Monty125 New Member

Hi

I have a reel of solder I purchased from B&Q about 20 years ago. Its lost its labels but it’s on a green spool. I’m I correct in thinking that this is lead free?

I’ve used it in my kitchen & bathroom in the past and now I’m starting to wonder if its lead free:eek:

2. Given its age then its most likely to be lead, you can use a rough test to be sure, clean the solder so it shines, make a test joint on a spare bit of copper and when the solder cools, wipe it with a damp cloth then a dry one, if its lead the solder will polish up, if its lead free it will be a miserable dull grey, its a very rough test though.

If in doubt, sling it out, unless you have a use for lead solder.

3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Never heard of lead poisoning through use of lead solder ! Even at the height of Japanese hand made products during the 70’s , where bulk of the products were hand soldered using traditional solder, there are no reported cases. These women were soldering away for 8 to 10 hours a day for years on end.

4. Monty125

Monty125 New Member

What about drinking water, would this get contaminated from the lead solder in the pipes?

5. Monty125

Monty125 New Member

I have also looked on the Fry powerflow site, it seems the Green reels are lead free & yellow leaded. has this always been the case?

6. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Again very very unlikely.. many houses in UK still have bits of lead piping. Normally a pipe in use gets covered with a thin layer or mineral deposit, usually calcium. By all means if it really bothers you get a lead free version.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Don't throw out. It's great stuff like the old flux if you find any. I use for heating pipes and electrical soldering as so much better than the new stuff and easier to use. OK it's good practice to use on any water that maybe drunk

8. Monty125

Monty125 New Member

thank you

It’s the plumbing I’ve done in the past with this solder that bothers me. I’ve always used the solder ring with an extra dab to ensure a good joint.

9. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

Yeah I used to do the same just to check if run, but surely only the solder in the Yorkshire would touch water?