Lead Mains Pipe Leaking??? Help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by kiteboy, Aug 27, 2018.

1. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Hi all

We have some severe damp and wet rot we have discovered under the floorboards while decorating......we thought the cause was blocked air vents tbh but today we have found out that the floor is soaking wet near the lead pipe water mains ........we cant see any obvious leaks but surely the lead pipe must be an issue

So thinking of replacing the lead now! Ideally I would like to replace all of it however
    I've been looking at the guidance notes for Welsh Water and they specify where the new mdpe pipe comes into the property the depth must be at least at 750mm!!

I've got no problem doing that depth in the front garden however where it comes under the foundations of the house that would be a hell of job to do especially digging down in the main living room!!...that's where it currently comes in

What a mess that would be

I've thought that maybe a better option would be to connect up where the lead currently comes into the property currenty and use plastic from there

Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Replace the lot with 25mm plastic, it will only come back to bite you,if you leave a section lead behind,I speak from experience.

Does it have to come into living room,good opportunity to resite stop cock to a better location.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Heat, Wayners and just pumps like this.
  3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Totally agree, - remove every last inch of lead pipe.
    If you really really had to leave any lead temporarily, make sure it is the part outside the house.
    The depth issue can be worked around if you use insulation around the pipe - check with your local water authority. They won’t expect you to attempt anything that is impossible

4. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Yes the little bit of lead I was thinking of leaving was in the front garden near the stop cock but on my side......the problem is "I think" if I go the full connection route Welsh water will demand I go on a meter at the same time which I don't want

Ive emailed them to check to see if I have that right as I don't want a meter right now anyway... and this was the only way I could think of as getting around that

It's £700 just for a connection never mind the work I have to put in....mad price imo

5. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Also it come into living room then through back room and then into kitchen where the stop cock is

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Check to see if they do a free of charge reconnection where there are lead pipes. Some water companies do and it may be worth checking.

7. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

They will change the communication pipe free of charge I gather if that is found to be lead but anything from my boundary on is my issue

8. Pollowick

Not disputing about anything on your land, what I am saying is that if there is lead pipe, you run the new supply pipe from your property to the boundary and they will come and switch the connection from the old lead to the new MDPE free of charge.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You don't have to have a water meter, it's not compulsory.

10. They will fit fit one anyway,even if it is not used and you do not want it.They have then got it fitted and have it for future. use.

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Times may have changed then,or water boards each have different rules, as 10 years ago I was offered a choice with Wessex, as whether I wanted one fitted or not when I replaced lead main.

12. Pollowick

I understand that some companies fit the metering head but not the meter which will allow for an easy update in future.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Makes sense.:)

14. That makes sense,but everyone I have seen they have fitted the lot.

15. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

A real old plumber here.
    I still have my blowlamp and wiping clothes around that
    may of been handy if I had been a neighbour.
    Those were the days.
    Thank god I got out of it a 28.

Johnny M

KIAB likes this.
  16. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Overhand or underhand wipe John ;)