Lead pipe joint???

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Stuart79, Jul 18, 2019.

1. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Wiped joints.

Well over the years of course lots of lead pipe cries on NOT to use.
    From a child till I was married in a very old flat say till 30 it was always lead pipes.
    I am 85 now. Grey matter is slowing down but I dont put it down to lead pipe just age.
    I think maybe H&S have gone a bit far.
    If there expert's are like the Brexit experts I rest my case.

Johnny M

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

A bit far and beyond,so many keyboard warrior's abound who have no actual experience of working on vintage installations and rely on google/diy forums ;)

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I think the experts are correct about lead. It is highly poisonous.
    Problem is if you use leaded solder and a customer discovers it, then they could claim from you.
    Any houses with lead mains supply, I let the tap run for a few minutes to avoid drinking the stale water.
    But biggest risk is cutting the lead and then adding lead solder bar to end up with fresh new lead exposed to the water obviously.

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

nothing wrong with using a vintage turnpin and unleaded solder just fill the expanded lead pipe from a low heated heated heavily tinned copper pipe with lead free solder add some more solder to fill the recess.Then flush out into 6 buckets (approx 100 liters) then proceed to connect to the customers water supply.

No need to do a banned traditional wiped joint or use flux or tallow,easy :p

5. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Come on mate, how did it go on Friday?

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

He is still there, trying to swim out!

Joe the Plumber and Heat like this.
  7. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Many a true word...!

I really will be interested to hear how he got on though.