Lead Window Bays for single storey extension

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by JD2018, Jul 11, 2022.

1. JD2018

JD2018 New Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone could offer an opinion on some lead work I need done for a single storey extension. Basically I have a low pitched roof which finishes higher than my first floor windows. The general roofer I had that installed the velux windows and tiled the roof said it wasn't really his kind of work and I would be better off getting a lead worker in which I fully appreciate.

However trying to get any lead worker out to give me a price seems to be a challenge in itself.

Cut a long story short, Ive just been given 2 very similar prices for the 2 bays required. The size of the bays are approx 1.7m wide by 1.3m deep. I have 18mm ply pre cut to go on top of the firings and cheeks etc.
    Ive also explained I instructed to roofer just to leave the roofing membrane across the bays for now just for a bit of weather protection, and also the tiles are just placed around the bays not cut so its easier for the lead work to be done.
    With regards to the upstand going under the windows, I have said if needed Im willing to remove the windows for the lead to be dressed over the brickwork etc then the window re fitted.

Now the price I received was £7k for 2 bays. £3500 for each bay!!! This is obviously supply & fit

So my question is, how long do you think this kind of job would take a lead worker? The guys I've had come out are saying 3 days max? And if you can answer this question what sort of price do you think would be reasonable to pay?

By the way I hope this doesn't come across as me just wanting "cheap" this is not the case. Im a firm believer of "buy cheap, pay twice" however I think £7k seems extortionate.

Any opinions or alternative suggestions welcome, Ive attached some pics to get a rough idea of what I mean.
    Imin Colchester, Essex so if any lead workers see this please contact me ;)

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

They are laughably tekkin’t’pis. They clearly are covering themselves for any recurring issues, for the next few decades by the look.

An alternative suggestion would be to reduce the window heights (new windows obviously required) so you can have a normal lean to roof but that presumably would knacker your fire escape route height wise from inside, less than a metre is the reg I believe, so another alternative to that is to build a step in each bedroom to be able to reach the window, whether you choose to keep that in after it’s been signed off is up to you…..

3. JD2018

JD2018 New Member

Thanks @Jord86 for the reply. I thought as much about them taking the p**s.

It seems some trades are so busy they're just not interested in even coming out to have a look at jobs or they just want stupid amounts of money.

I did toy with the idea of replacing the windows. Maybe that's the way forward, I'll get onto a window company and price it up and ask about the regs regarding fire escapes and see if anyone else comes up with anything.

Thanks again