Leak elbow joint PEX- help me please!?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RobbieP, Oct 12, 2017.

1. RobbieP

RobbieP Member

I recently had a leak from the elbow between two PEX pipes, this was replaced by a professional and only a fortnight after the change of elbows has again failed causing a fresh leak (same place) on the nicely patched up ceiling.

The current fittings are push fit elbows are there any other alternatives because I cannot bear the leak. On a side note this bathroom has been a constant challenge since we moved in with leaks so this is becoming incredidly costly and tiresome.

Is there any sealant that can be used to fix the joints tighter or different fitting options for the PEX pipe.

Please help :'(

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Ive said it before and I'll say it again there is no subsitute to copper, whilst I'll agree plastic has its place to get you around some difficult places it also allows for unskilled people to call themselves plumbers.

I appreciate that my little anti pushfit rant doesnot help your predicament I would sugest that you re open the area ton gain access and replace the push fit fitting with a compession fitting, be sure that the inserts are inserted.

3. RobbieP

RobbieP Member

Thanks it does help. Ultimately, if I have any done any DIY (rare) its been with copper because a straight run doesn't leak and if you need a bend a decent joint can be made.

I do have a follow up, I've seen plastic inserts and copper inserts are we going copper here?

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Get the pipe manufacturers inserts some are metal some plastic dependant upon brand. Little tip put the nut and olive on before inserting the insert then pull them back ovet to fit the fitting.

RobbieP likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sounds obvious but there’s got to be a reason why this joint is leaking, even after replacing the elbow (are you certain the elbow was definitely replaced) ?

I would investigate 1st before deciding what to replace with. Turn of water to pipe and remove the elbow

Have inserts been used in both pipes and do they fit snug inside pipe

Has ends of pipe been neatly cut, no burrs and square

Any damage to pipe where it meets the elbow

Are the pipes meeting the elbow straight on or are they under any sideways stress

Are pipes long enough for full insertion into fitting

Usually recommended that same make components are always used together, ie. pipe, inserts, fittings, but I’m sure that plenty of peeps have mixed 2 or more makes together with no problems

That’s all I can think of really, should be straight forward and leak free but think you need to find the problem before deciding on the fix - good luck

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Can you provide some pictures?

Start with the joint in-situ. Then draw pencil lines on the pipe where it meets the fitting, take it apart (with water off) and then pictures of pipes, including pencil parks, end of pipes, inserts and fitting again.

There are "rules" to follow such as only using a manufacturers inserts with his pipe and internal diameters can vary. Ensure everything is clean and smooth with no rough cuts ...

7. RobbieP

RobbieP Member

I am certain the elbows were replaced, unsure what the pipes were like though, which is why I am going to inspect myself.

I opened the ceiling last night to get at them again and in doing so found that only 1 of the elbows was leaking. Not sure which supply yet. What I did notice was the push fit had screw up parts which were loose and just pushed the pipe in and then screwed tight. Leak gone for now, however the leak only appeared after about a fortnight this time, and had previous to a fortnight ago been in situ for 18 months +.

The pipes are at right angles and all seems sufficient in length.

I think I will replace the elbows for Hep2O elbows and pipe inserts, rather than the speed fit fittings currently in use.

Appreciate the guidance.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You mention screw up parts - Speedfit have just a 1/4 turn to lock on their current versions. Of all the brands, the two two have to be Hep2O and Speedfit so it is surprising. A picture of the problem one would be useful to ID it.

You mention replacing with Hep2O elbows and inserts NO that is wrong. You cannot use Hep2O inserts in brand X pipe - they may not fit.

Take it all apart to identify the pipe and fitting fittings and to check the inserts used along with the clean edge of the cut pipe. TAKE PICTURES.