Leak from base of tap in kitchen

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kaz69, Mar 29, 2017.

  1. Kaz69

    Kaz69 Member

    I have a mixer tap in the kitchen and have a leak from the base under the hot water tap, it only comes from here and no where else. can i just use silicone round the base or would it be better to get a washer? and what type of washer would it be?


    Attached Files:

    • tap.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
  2. candoabitofmoststuff

    candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

    No, don't just use a sealant round the base... That will only mean that the water will come out underneath, below the sink instead. It quite possibly is already!
    If it really is leaking from there, (you absolutely certain it's not just appearing there having tracked down from further up the tap?), the whole assembly will need to be removed from the sink for investigation. Then the actual fix can be determined.


  3. Wayners

    Wayners Well-Known Member

    Under tap you say... Plumbers mate. Very thin amounts spread. Get it warm so it spreads, do the best you can and warm tap to. Screw back on to clamp and seal.. Silicone will fail
  4. Kaz69

    Kaz69 Member

    I haven’t removed the taps so I’m not absolutely certain it’s from the base, but I would rather do it all in one go rather than take it off put it back etc. I found a manual roughly the same to my taps (attached) I know it’s hard to assess the problem without taking a look but could it be the sealing washer or shoulder washer? Or could it be something else?

  5. Wayners

    Wayners Well-Known Member

    Put a thin amount of clear silicone around tap base. If water stops leaking you know it's the shoulder washer. I find silicone don't last. Never that fussed on the shoulder washers either as they fail to
  6. andy48

    andy48 Active Member

    For a deck mixer tap to leak, then the water must come from:

    1. Under the sink, an which case it will probably be a fine spray from the tap connector. Unlikely
    2. A fault where the tap tail goes into the body. Highly unlikely
    3. Above the sink, in which case it will be:
    a. From the hot tap itself, either via the spindle or the body of the tap under the shroud. OR
    b. From water running down from the spout (usually where it joins the body and swivels) and collecting at the base.

    The tap should have come with a flat washer the size of the body of the tap with two holes for the tap tails. These can fail. Replacement (e.g. http://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/deck-sink-mixer-long-foam-washer-pad---50103873-2325-p.asp )requires tap to be removed. This is just to prevent water running under taps and hence under sink.

    You'll have to identify just where the leak is coming from. Assuming not 1. or 2. above, remove tap handle and shroud. Operate tap and look for leaks. If none, then remove spout (usually a grub screw at the back) and see if water continues to come out even with taps turned off.

    Fix for leaking valve is to replace it (or fit a pair of tap revivers). If spout leaking (usually only when taps running), replace O rings in spout seal.

    With all the above faffing about, its often easier and cheaper to just replace the taps.

    As Cando has said, if you can't trace the leak from above, the taps will have to come out.

    I personally think trying to seal with silicone is a waste of time, it won't last, and Plumber's Mait isn't for this sort of job.
    DIYDave. likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Well-Known Member

    I'm only diy so what do I know but...... Plumbers mait in this situation ...... you gotta be joking right ??

    Ok, cause of leak needs to be investigated, could be several issues but fudging putty under the tap body is gonna stop the leak how ?

    Plumbers mait ???? Just don't get it tbh :confused:
    Astramax likes this.
  8. Kaz69

    Kaz69 Member

    Cheers Andy48
    As we are moving home I didn't want to payout for anything new so I know they don't cost a lot but every penny counts.

    I'm gona leave the investigating till the weekend as our pipes are board off so will need to leave myself some time

  9. Kaz69

    Kaz69 Member

    So after looking round the back and doing some tests the leak is coming from the swivel part of the spout. It's very small amounts that's why I thought it was from the base so looks to just be an o ring replacement which I'll start at the weekend

    Cheers all
  10. Dave does Gas

    Dave does Gas Well-Known Member

    Oh my man what you say is so true, Plumbers mate and silicone are used by bodgers to cover up a poor installation, having said that there are instances where they are required but certainly not for a leak repair.
    Astramax and Glad its Friday like this.
  11. Wayners

    Wayners Well-Known Member

    I disagree. If a original seal under a tap has failed then a new tap with new seal or a cheap fix with plumbers mate is the only way to go. I would say. Put kettle on and fix quickly. If it leaks then I'll come back and fit a new one and charge. Don't use on new stuff like toilets but sometimes it's the only option on a old one that's leaking. Go around telling customers you need a new one with no attempt to fix will cause the business to fail I think
  12. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Well-Known Member

    Cheers Dave for the heads up - sweet :)

    I really don't wanna overstep the mark as I'm only diy but...... when I see a post that's trying to help the OP but the guidance given is just a big Nahhhhhhhh...... just had to say something

    Also, the pair of you, its Plumbers Mait ...... not as in your 'Mate' ok !
  13. Astramax

    Astramax Well-Known Member

    The tap is leaking from under the base according to the OP, the tap needs removing to investigate the problem surely!

Share This Page