Leak from immersion element

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ukwoody, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Evening all.

went to change the element on my Econ7 copper immersion tank, to discover it had been leaking slightly for years. (I vaguely think I had a slight problem there when I fitted it 6 years ago.) Anyway, after some effort manged to get old heater out but when I fitted the new one, I've still got a slight leak around the fibre washer/flange joint.  As per instructions I didnt put ptfe tape around the thread (old one didnt either) and with the small space I have to work in it was hard enought to get the thread to match as it was.  I suspect the flange may have a minor distortion or something. Is there any "sealant", ie a paste, I could put around the flange and thread to create a tight seal?

Many thanks guys from a Chippie in dispair ;-)

Woody

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

these cylinders are troublesome, the 2 inch flange is not a flat surface, its 'vee'd, and cuts into the gasket, this is what causes the laeks, i use loads of ptfe and paste, then don't overtighten, just hand tight and anther 1/4 turn,
    hope this helps

3. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

thanks. What paste?  and could I have over tightened it then in an efforet to stop the drip?

woody

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

paste, hawkwhite or fernox or jetblue all available at plumbers merchants, yes when you overtighten, the vee will cut into the gasket, the harder you turn, the more it cuts ,