Leak on glass roof sitting on timber frame

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Omni, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Omni

Omni New Member

Hi guys, I have a leak in the corner of my kitchen roof in my flat. Its double glazed glass and sits on top of a timber frame, the moisture is somehow getting under the timber frame and running down corner and getting into the paint and plasterboard. Will this be a expensive repair and what do you think k realistically needs doing to fix the leak.. I have some pictures showing where it leaks thank you in advance. 20191021_134459.jpg 20191021_134506.jpg 20191021_134459.jpg

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    That’s where the water is showing , the leak is above,

3. Omni

Omni New Member

Hi I just looked again the water is coming from the corner underneath the timber, there is no damp on top of the timber or top corner, it's coming from tiny cracks in the corner...

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Opps
    It looks like the roof to wall flashing has failed. Also the cra.p is not helping, it’s probably capillary action that’s drawing in the water,
    A picture fro outside would be useful

regards
    Peter

Astramax likes this.
  5. Omni

Omni New Member

Attached Files:

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    To stop water getting into area’s like this, the design needs to divert rain water away from the glass to wood/brick joint.
    The materials used must divert the water, it’s not a question of ‘sealing’ a joint.

trying to ‘seal’ a joint in that area, is the wrong approach.
    If the problem has only just started and it’s been fine for a long time, simply clearing all the debris away to allow the water to flow past is the way forward .
    When cleaning the area, thinking ‘make the water flow’ you will stop the problem.

good luck
    Peter

Omni likes this.
  7. Omni

Omni New Member

Thank you, I will have a clean next time it is dry and hope it fixes the issue