Leaked Water Stain Under Vinyl Silk

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by PJA, Dec 3, 2018.

1. PJA

PJA New Member

Hi all.

I'm after a bit of advice.

Last year we redecorated the lounge in our new house, and used vinyl silk on the ceiling and walls. A good choice we thought.

Unfortunately, the family bathroom is above the lounge, and the basin tap has a bit of a leak. Not so bad if we are about, but left alone for 2 weeks (holiday) we discovered a problem. In hindsight, we should have turned the water off :-S

Anyway, it has left a visible (in the right light) a mark on the ceiling in the lounge, not a large area (20x40cm maybe).

We can live with it until the next time we redecorate, or is it worth trying to 'repair' it in some way? I seem to recall that there is some issue with applying vinyl onto of vinyl.

Cheers.

P.S. The family bathroom is next up for replacing completely.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Is there’s simply a stain, yellow brownish usually or has the paint and/or plaster lifted or become damaged in any way

If simply stained, needs 1 or 2 coats of a stainblock paint to basically er, stainblock the stain :)

Could use Zinnser BIN or Coverstain, both excellent products

If you simply paint over stain, all will look good initially and then the stain will miraculously reappear

Can’t see a problem with either the stainblock or vinyl silk going over vinyl silk

I’ve had a problem before going over vinyl silk with matt emuslion where the silk bubbles up in places, but your not in this situation

If any damage to paint/plaster, then obviously this will have to be repaired first

Painting any patch on a ceiling or wall there’s always a risk of the patch showing up, even using the same tin of paint as originally used. Once paint is applied, it gradually changes colour slightly so a repair may well show up

Sometimes better to paint the entire wall/ceiling but, patch repair first and take it from there - good luck

3. PJA

PJA New Member

Hi.

Its just a yellow/brown stain. The vinyl and plaster haven't moved at all, that I can see.

We can live with it, I'm just a picky so-and-so ;-) By the time we've done the rest of the house, it'll be time to redo the lounge.

Many thanks :)

4. DIYDave.

Well in that case (stain only) and as ur picky, get it sorted pronto !

Stainblock, paint, done

If just a patch repair, what, an hours work tops (not including drying times)

So why leave it ? ;)

5. PJA

PJA New Member

Haha. Yup, I'll patch it up :)

Thanks for the advice.

6. DIYDave.

No worries matey, hope all goes well