leaking asbestos garage roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jampot, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jampot

jampot New Member

My garage roof is asbestos sheet and rain water is seeping in through the sheeting ie it has become porous. I have tried sealing it with Thomson water seal without success. Any suggestions as to what I can paint on to stop the water getting in.
    many thanks in anticipation

2. Thompson water seal is no good for what you need.

Either paint it over with Acroypol, after repairing any obvious cracks with flashband, ( heat with a hot air gun )  or put a new roof on.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I have found Coltogum good for difficult roofs it has fibres in it to bridge gaps, very good for holes and splits.  I got mine from qvc it's grey too so will not stand out against asbestos.  Obliviously do not abrade the asbestos at all, I would just paint it straight on assuming you don't have too much moss etc.  If you do I would try and repair from underneath not ideal but better than raising dust.
    I guess it depends on how many places it is leaking if the whole roof is porous replacement is perhaps the answer.

PS are you sure it's not condensation on the underside my old roof used to suffer from that.

teabreak