Leaking bar valve shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sean808, Jul 7, 2020.

1. sean808

sean808 New Member

I have a thermostatic bar valve shower, the hot water has started leaking down the wall before it goes into the shower so hardly any water coming out of the head. No issue with shower flow if we use cold water. Boiler is working fine. I swapped and used the bar valve from the second shower and the leaking stopped but still not as much water coming out as usual. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Where exactly is the water leaking from? Can you upload a picture?

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Can you show a picture ,indicating exactly where its leaking from ?
    Blocked filter would be the first thing to check for. If you can isolate the hot to the problem valve ,remove the valve ,then open the isolator to check the flow being delivered to the valve is good.

4. sean808

sean808 New Member

IMG_6688.jpg I've tried to draw on the picture here, it seems to leaking from behind the round fixing bit down the wall where the arrow is pointing

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Thanks ,it's either the seal between the nut and supply pipes fitting,or less likely the supply pipe side. Have you tried fitting new rubber seals between the nuts ?
    The leak and the lack of pressure are unlikely to be connected ,but two seperate issues.

6. sean808

sean808 New Member

Thanks I appreciate your help. Haven't tried anything other than swapping the valves around to be honest, I'll try some new seals and see if that works. Forgot to say there's a bit of a high pitched screech as well that's started at the same time as this, not continuous just every now and then so not sure if that could be related to the seals?

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Where does the " screech" sound eminate from ,is it the shower valve ?
    Does it happen with the swapped valve also ?
    Nowt to do with the seals though.

8. jameswills

jameswills Member

It needs to be sealed. I had this happen in my newly built shower system. The issue was behind the wall, it was causing slight separation from the heat.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What did you have happen James ?
    A screeching sound ?