Leaking Bath Waste

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Monkey Wrench, Feb 15, 2011.

1. I have a major problem with a leaking bath waste.

I was recently called to a customers house as they had water dripping from there kitchen ceiling from the bathroom above.

The main problem was a broken fibre washer on the hot tap but I also noticed that the bath waste was leaking slightly and so cleaned off all the silicone and fitted a new rubber sealing washer (without silicone).

The next day they called to say the bath waste was still leaking so I went back and this time used silicone between the rubber seal and the bath. However, the next day they ca\lled to say it was still leaking !

I therefore installed a complete new waste and trap (without silicone) but again they called to say it was still leaking.

I have since used both Plumbers Mate and Fernox LSX (on two different occasions) but still the customer calls to say it is still leaking.

Every time I have been to the customer I have filled the bath half full of water, drained it down and not had a single leak.

However, the customer has baths regularly and fills the bath to just below the overflow. When they have finished the bath, they drain it but sit in the bath while it drains.

The bath does not leak when they have showers or when the bath is half full or less.

I have now run out of ideas and so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

''when they have finished the bath, they drain it but sit in the bath while it drains''

you have realy gone and lost me now M8, HONEST.  why would anyone sit in their own rubbish which they have just washed off themselves   
      !) Go back there and ensure that the overflow is fitted correctly and is leak free?
    2) Instead of constantly lossing work by all this call back, buy a new waste and overflow, fit all, ensuring that LS Leak sealer is used at all mating faces,  there should be no problem.

except the bath was faulty from day one of purchase?   As  a plumber, you have to constantly think on your feet.  If not, you'll have to be returning products some of the time.  Its time consuming and loses you money.  Good luck.

3. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Hi Monkey Wrench,
    I don't know if this is your problem but I've had trouble with bath combi wastes were the O/F pipe connects into the waste.
    You don't always notice the leak at first and oftern you think that it's coming from the trap were it connects to the waste.
    Make sure the little rubber ring is on (easily lost when opening the packet) then as an added measure I glue the thing on with solvent cement.
    I can't think of anything else it might be.
    Good luck.

4. palavaman

solvent cement is a bit OTT innit Crowsfoot?  That bath waste/overflow i had a problem with last time must have been fitted by you, NO??   I couldnt dislodge the bugger.  Ah well.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Yup! leak from the o/flow joint!

6. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

I concur, LSX that pesky flexie thingie, and then jubilee clamp it on for extra peace of mind. Some things you learn the hard way.......

DH

7. Thanks for the posts.

I've fitted two new wastes and both have leaked. The overflow in both cases has been leaf free and (according to the customer) it always leaks on the seal between the waste and the bath !

I went back yesterday, before using LSX, filled the bath to the brim and then drained it in front of the customer. There were no leaks or drips BUT the waste was slightly wet after the bath had drained. AARGH !

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

So is it a plastic bath or metal one. If plastic, maybe there's a hairline crack that cannot be seen(maybe widened by weight or hot water).

If metal, maybe there's a tad of rust(causing a hollow) that water cannot be sealed from. Scraping and smoothing might be the order.

Try running just hot water out, it may show a leak more evidently.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. palavaman

clean waste and seal with clear sealant, then tell customer not to go anywhere near the bath for 24 hours?   Not that they'll listen to you.
    You may just have to encourage them to fork out 4a new bath?  That way, you get to make some money fitting it and it will be leak free.
    failing that, they will soon be asking for your insurance (public liability) details so they can make some money out of their faulty bath;)

10. Thanks again for the posts. I'm going back again next week for what will "hopefully" be the last attempt to fix the leaking waste.

I'll try running just hot water first (thanks Mr. HandyAndy) and then, as you suggested Palavaman, I'm going to throughly clean the waste (might even fit another new one) and underside of the bath, then cover it all in clear sealent (again).

If that doesn't work then I'm going to have to walk away as it will be the sixth time I've tried to sort it.

The only consolation is that the customer has expressed concern at how much all my visits must be costing them eventhough I haven't mentioned anything about money.

11. palavaman

When you go 4the 'last visit', after the fix, inform them that you have done all that is required and can't do anymore. So, if it leaks again, it would be in their best interest to have a new bath installed. At the very least, it will be leak free and you can have a decent nite's sleep!

12. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Pffft! Pallyman! It's a bath waste! Any plumber worth his wages will have it fixed in a jiffy! Of course they don't need a new bath!

13. palavaman

I agree wiff you 100%, but I have to consider the customer as well. 4/5 visits at £40 an hr, (that's what I charge, SORRY).  2/3 bathwaste & overflow, at £8-25 each, and no joy, if you put all this into consideration, you find it's cheaper to fit a new bath. Bath £70+, labour, £200 or less.  Check my 1st post:   1) check overow & ensure it is leak free!  If it is,   2) check and if need be, replace waste.  THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM!  What more do you want me to say?

14. catchup

catchup Member

Wot more do we want you to say...................... Nothing, cos you talk a load of *. Any Plumber worth his salt will fix that,no probs. BTW my cars got a punture,your advice would be to buy a new motor, you stoopid iriot.

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

15. wazza25

wazza25 New Member

you mentioned that you went to fix a leak on the connection to the hot water tap. did you check the seal between the tap and the back nut? if that seal is faulty then it would make it look like the fibre washer is at fualt and may also run down the outside of the bath and make it look like the traps leaking

16. wazza25

wazza25 New Member

combined with a dodgy tap which rather than drip it will seap water under the rim of the tap and maby go through the seal it sometimes does this if its not turned off properly. worth a check mate

17. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Last gasp, I don't suppose they have a shower over the bath do they?, water spray can get under the taps and down the threads, or even behind the overflow fitting then run down the hose indicating a 'leak'.

DH

18. palavaman

DH, in the OP's first post, further down, it reads:
    ''the bath does not leak when they have showers or when the bath is half full or less''.

One might assume that they do have a shower over the bath.

19. wazza25

wazza25 New Member

what kind of bath is it? becuase some old plastic or fibre glass baths will move or distort possibly breaking the seal

20. wazza25

wazza25 New Member

espiecially when wieght is apllied ie when people get in the bath