Leaking boiler expansion vessel

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Joe McCallan, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Joe McCallan

Joe McCallan New Member

I have a GlowWorm Flexicom 24CX which is 6 years old which shows 0.3 bar. When topping up with the filling loop the expansion vessel leaks (I can see the water bubbles forming near the bottom of the vessel) and there is no increase in pressure. Can someone advise what caused this problem and do I simply replace the expansion vessel?

2. Cause? Most likely chust early failure - it should really last much longer than that.

Cure? Replacement as you say. The part can be had for around £70 upwards, and I believe is a pretty straight-forward repair; don't the boiler sides hinge open on these models to allow even better access?

Will you be DIYing, or getting someone in? If the former, then you isolate the CH flow and return at the valves under the boiler, depressurise the boiler (don't use the PRV!) and fire away.

Also check that the new replacement has been properly pressurised on the 'sir' side before fitting - you can ask the supplier to confirm it has.

Not sure what the 'air' should be pressurised to, but I suspect around 0.75bar, possibly up to 1 bar.

(The leak isn't simply from the connection to the vessel, is it?)

3. Assuming that vessel has chust failed for no good reason. But if it's leaking through a corroded seam, then give a serious look at the rest of your system to check that rads aren't corroding too - do you need to bleed any rads on a regularish basis?

Anyhoo, unless you are certain that your system has inhibitor in it, perhaps worth adding a dose?

(Not that I've actually heard of an exp vessel corroding like that - so soz for frighteners... :))

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Joe McCallan

Joe McCallan New Member

Thanks for prompt response DA. Everything was working fine after re-fitting radiator and refilling system last week. Expansion vessel looks in good nick but definitely leaking just above seam. Will hopefully DIY. Will a refurbished expansion vessel from ebay suffice?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not recommended.

Buy new, you have no idea how a secondhand expansion has been used, or it's overall condition,so buy new.

7. KIAB likes this.