Leaking drain pump on Zanussi Lindo 300... can anyone help a girl out??

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by SarahJQ1000, Jan 21, 2022.

1. SarahJQ1000

SarahJQ1000 New Member

Hi there, so I posted another thread as trying to fix a simple draining error on my Zanussi washing machine.

No blockages - checked everywhere. Advice on thread was that it was the pump (couldn't really be anything else).

Ordered a new drain pump. Fitted drain pump.

DIYer (woman in my early 30s, have a female housemate, bit sick of paying tons of £££ for simple fixes) but very inexperienced, found a good YouTube tutorial.

Unfortunately after reassembling everything and turning the washer upright, I noticed a lot of water dripping out from the pump area. I realised I overtightened one of the screws (first time wrench user) - it was the screw that was harder to see as it was underneath and I hadn't realised how much I had overtightened.

See photos attached.

Question I'd love advice on - if I get a new pump filter body, will that solve the issue - or have I damaged the actual frame of the machine beyond repair? Or could the leak have just come from me not reattaching it properly (I couldn't be sure where the water was escaping from but the overtightened screw seemed the most obvious) IMG_5496.jpg IMG_5498.jpg ?

Feeling very frustrated with myself for not just calling a professional from the off - but now wondering if it's simpler to get a new machine. It's only 3 years old (out of the 2 year guarantee) so it feels a shame but call out for a workman is so much.

Thanks for any advice.

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Before you give up, I would undo the assembly, make sure all seals and gaskets are sitting properly in their groves. It’s easy to displace these when fitting. Reseat and tighten screws, evenly. Ie tighten them not fully, but all nearly to end of travel. Then nip them up hand tight (no power tools).

When removed, made sure there are no cracks in the plastic body possibly caused by over tightening.

Generally not worth throwing out a machine that young, it’s got at least 7 to 10 years ahead of it. I just replaced the brushes and belt on my 13year old Siemens.

SarahJQ1000 likes this.
  3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If you can locate the source of the leak accurately, do as suggested above with the addition of applying a 1mm thick bead or silicone rubber sealant to the mating surface. Allow some time for a skin to appear on the sealant before assembly and ensure all surfaces are dry. Tighten using hand tools and no real force.

SarahJQ1000 likes this.
  4. SarahJQ1000

SarahJQ1000 New Member

Thank you!

Sorry if this is a silly question but what is the mating surface? Is it the plastic bits that connect when screwed in, or do you suggest putting the sealant within the hole where the screw goes?

The water could also be escaping through the black seal/flap that connects directly to the washing machine/let's water out and sits just inside the pump. Should I put sealant underneath this too (so that the seal sticks more to the machine)?

I tried Quasar9's suggestion and it was definitely better but there was still a small leak when I ran the wash and hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. The draining error is fixed though, haha.

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The mating surfaces ate those parts that come together to provide a leak free seal. Might already have a rubber seal on it.

SarahJQ1000 likes this.
  6. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Before you go the silicone sealant route, a remedy of final resort, try tightening up just a bit, nearest to the leak. Every plumber hits a small weep regularly and just tightening a tiny bit usually works. While siliconing is not a bad idea for plumbing products where you may not have to separate them ever, it’s not necessary for domestic appliances. At worst, a small smear of fernox LSX.

SarahJQ1000 likes this.
  7. SarahJQ1000

SarahJQ1000 New Member

@quasar9 @Bob Rathbone thank you thank you! I tried the above (used a little bit of fernox for good measure) and it seems to have worked. Was despairing with what to do so really appreciate your help and advice!

8. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Glad to hear you have come to a happy conclusion. Don’t let something like this put you off, you have already learnt something. Every Screwfix select member can tell you about nightmare jobs that took a few attempts to resolve.

Teki and SarahJQ1000 like this.