leaking hotwater cylinder

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Glenn Trethowen, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Glenn Trethowen

Glenn Trethowen New Member

i had i new hotwater cylinder installed approx 6 mths ago, ive just noticed that everthing in the cuboard that was airing was all soaking wet so i pulled everything out and noticed condensation,qute big droplets on the top panel,i put my finger through the hole where the pipe goes throught to the outside roof and found it dry ,i cant find any sign of any leaking anywhere in the pipe work in side the hotwater cuboard has any one got any ideas whsts going on here?

2. I would guess that u have a leak(leaks on hot water will cause bad condensation) but impossible to tell without being there and if u have already inspected it and can’t find anything I would call the plumber back. If there is pipework above in a loft space it would be worth checking that. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious.

Maybe put a photo up of the cylinder and pipework, someone might notice something it could be.

3. james curson

james curson New Member

Hi there im no expert but you say you poked your finger through the hole where the pipe goes to out side roof,I'm thinking if cold air hits a hot metal tank that would cause condensation
    Try filling in the gaps where the pipe comes through, worth a try 2 minutes job and virtually cost free

4. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

@Glenn Trethowen
    Where is your COLD water tank and how do you heat your water?????

A hot metal tank will not get condensation because it will be insulated.