Leaking mixer tap when washing machine is on.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Matt T, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Matt T

Matt T Member

Hi there, probably an obvious answer to this but I had to isolate the mixer tap in our utility as it was leaking at the weekend, it did a fair bit of damage but as it’s underneath and it’s a utility I’m not really bothered, I planned to take out the mixer today so I could replace at the weekend. What I didn’t realise as there was still a leak from tap, has the isolation valve to this also failed? I did a test and it only appears to leak when the washing machine is on.
    Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Where exactly is the leak ?
    The unsupported white plastic pipes may be part of your issue.

3. Matt T

Matt T Member

Hi there, the leak (I think as it is really hard to be certain) is going up the isolation valve that should be turned off and leaking out of the already broken mixer (hence it being isolated) and running back down and dripping onto base floor.
    I'm going to buy new isolation valves, mixer tap and trap just too be sure.

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

What brand of pipe, fittings and inserts are there? What inserts are in the isolation valve fitting? What type of olive was used? brass or copper?

5. Matt T

Matt T Member

It was the isolation valve that failed and also the mixer tap, replaced now and all fine.

terrymac likes this.
  6. amelia owen

amelia owen New Member

Identifying the issue is the first step. You need to replace the washer adjacent to the jumper valve if the tap continues to trickle even after you've turned it off. Replace the O-ring if water is dripping from the base or down the stem of the faucet. The good news is that if you're unsure, you can easily do both at once.