Leaking Shower

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by jackts, Oct 6, 2007.

1. jackts

jackts New Member

Visited a job last week as the customer had water through the ceiling every time they used the on suite shower. They were told that the original grout used was not waterproof. Removed as much as I could, re-grouted with waterproof. 24 hours later shower was used and still leaking. Tested waste by laying shower head in pan for over half an hour, no leak.

They only moved into the property a couple of months ago and we now think this was a DIY job by previous owner.

Coated all joints yesterday with PVA (a temp measure) and there are no longer any leaks today which seems to indicate that the water was getting through the walls/tiles.

I think I need to strip all tiles and start again, but they are a young couple strapped for cash and now clutching at straws, is there a less intrusive/expensive way to cure this problem. The PVA as I said is was a temp test thing.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

There is never a chaep cure to fixing this, either strip all tiles off and re-do properly or panel with some form of shower panelling.

3. jackts

jackts New Member

Cheers CL, I completely forgot about panelling.

4. redwill

redwill New Member

try exterior PVA or Sika (Trade Name )waterproofer thats used in mixing cement to make waterproof this is exceptionally good and should last

5. MPR Tiling

MPR Tiling New Member

jackts,It sounds as though you will have to start again & remove the tiling, then make good the substrate before waterproofing the area with a tanking system such as BAL WP1.
    Then re-tile & re-grout. No grout is completely waterproof (apart from epoxy grout) and will always allow a certain amount of water through it. That is why it is necesary to tank the surface behind the tiles. Anything else will only ever be a temporary solution.
    Using PVA is pointless for the job, and it has no place in tiling.

6. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

i agree with MPR. Just a suggestion, have you checked or siliconed around the bottom of the tray where the tiles meet? also, if its a 'DIY' job that the previos tennants have carried out then maybe they plumbed it themselves? might be worth checking the pipes where the water goes into the shower control unit. Ive seen it before where pipes are plumbed in and dont leak untill they are used, must be the change in presure.....plumbers forum will tell you more

7. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Maybe an epoxy grout or something like Bal supergrout would have been a better option.

All powdered grouts let a small amount of water through.

As suggested, strip out and do it properly, by tanking.

8. cosworth

cosworth New Member

a tempory measure....
    mask all the tile edges and white silicone over the grout.it will work cos ive done it to mine till i can afford a refit.

9. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

siliconed grout lines....nice....im sure ive seen your bathroom in "developers weekly"!

10. cosworth

cosworth New Member

ha ha jizzard.
    admitedly its not ideal but its better than water coming thru the ceiling if you cant afford to spend loads on a complete refit.
    also if you seen how clean and tidy it looks you would eat your words.
    im not talking about spreading it everywhere but mask and take time to keep it in grout line and run finger up joint.
    just giving a cheap answer as was asked simple as!