Leaking Washing Machine set up

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Emma Wilmot, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Emma Wilmot

Emma Wilmot New Member

Just moved and renting a house.
    Istalled a washing machine and connected the waste pipe to this thing by pushing it in.

Ran the washing machine and it leaked.

What have we missed?

Attached Files:

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Check there is no bung in that white adapter and then use jubilee clip to secure your pipe to it. Plus loop your grey pipe so it’s higher and pumping down into the white pipe

pppmacca43 and Muzungu like this.
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

+1 to that. The grey pipe needs to be as high as possible, touching the bottom of the worktop if you are able and then looping down into the adapter. Swivel the white adapter so it points up as well.

With it like it is your sink may well try to drain through the washing machine.

4. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Take the swivel spigot thing off first and check there’s no blanking cap inside. Then follow guidance above.

5. Emma Wilmot

Emma Wilmot New Member

We've done this and it's still leaking :(

Any further suggestions?

6. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

U have attached and used a jubilee to tighten and it’s still leaking? Can u show a photo of how it’s currently attached?

7. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Soak the washing machine hose end in boiling water to soften it and take white spigot of waste and whilst soft push end as far down as possible and then secure the hose on white spigot with two Jubilee clips then it will not dare leak..(could be a spring onion)

Teki, Muzungu and pppmacca43 like this.
  8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Can you see exactly where it is leaking from?

9. Emma Wilmot

Emma Wilmot New Member

It leaks from between the grey pipe and the white pipe.

Attached Files:

10. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Spirits are real suggestion is worth a try

11. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Would your jubilee clip tighten up any more?

pppmacca43 likes this.
  12. spirits are real 2016

That is how i do it every time i plumb in a washing machine and ive never had any leaks..

pppmacca43 likes this.
  13. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I’ve never tried it but normally they fit so snugly that pushing them on and using a jubilee clip is enough. I like it tho, it’s a handy tip I hadn’t thought about before.

spirits are real 2016 likes this.
  14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

There's two diameters on that spigot, I reckon you need to get it over the larger diameter, you have it over the smaller. How easy does it push on to the smaller diameter?

pppmacca43 likes this.
  15. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

yep might just need pushing on further and the jubilee down tightly. Unusual for these to leak, quite often come across them with no jubilee clips on they aren’t leaking

16. Nail_2512

Nail_2512 New Member

You are correct.

That spigot is designed for two sizes of pipe. You need to cut the smaller diameter section off to fit the washing machine pipe pictured.

17. Emma Wilmot

Emma Wilmot New Member

Hello again! We cut the spigot and the leak is now fixed. Unfortunately now we keep getting error 21, which is a draining error. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

18. spirits are real 2016

Yes you've plumbed it in wrong it must be plumbed in high and going down to waste it will not pump up hill you will need to redo it..

19. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

What make is the washing machine? Not all e21 faults are drain faults. If it is that could the filter need cleaning. Or could hose be kinked?

you have plumbed it in ok, they can pump uphill or you would have to have the waste connected at ground level

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  20. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

To be honest I would have the hose looped up, if possible, right to the underneath of the worktop. I had mine similar to yours to begin with and when I emptied a full sink it would allow some flow back through into the dishwasher. It is my understanding that the ideal situation is that top of the loop is above the level that you are likely to fill the sink.

pppmacca43 likes this.