Leaky kitchen tap

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Baz99, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Baz99

Baz99 New Member

I am sure this must have been answered many times but i am still not sure

How do ibknow what tap headworks i need to buy. Is it the 1/2 or 3/8 or do i only need a washer

My water bill has doubled during the last 6 months. Could it be because of this leak?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If the tap is continually running water it will obviously cost more ,but it would need to be continually running ,not just a drip ,to double your bill. Check your toilets for constantly running water and any loft tanks overflows.
    As you haven't given any info on exactly what type of tap you have , Its impossible to know what valve you will need.

just pumps likes this.
  3. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Post a photo of your kitchen tap:)

4. Baz99

Baz99 New Member

Please see attached

Attached Files:

5. Baz99

Baz99 New Member

Thank you have been noticing water coming off the pipe from the roof. Why that is i dont know. I noticed that turning on just the hot water on the boiler does not heat up the water. I have to turn on the heating as well

6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  7. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Sounds like u need a plumber tbh, your tank is either overflowing due to a faulty ball valve or because of an issue with your heating system.
    The tap u would need new quarter turn cartridges, this isn’t as simple as picking one up from screwfix as they all have different connections to the tap heads, also looks like it’s leaking from your tap spout, probably better to get the tap changed tbh.

8. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Easy to check the ball valve if you have one and easy to repair or replace without calling a plumber if you have an ounce of common sense. Advice on doing so has been given before and can be found by using the search box in the top, right hand corner above.

9. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

With the upmost respect to the original poster he noticed water coming from the roof and didn’t know why, and then wondered why his water bill had doubled, that would suggest to me he doesn’t have the knowledge to carry out plumbing tasks, anyone with a small amount of plumbing knowledge would know that is the overflow pipe from the tank.
    Also his hot water only works when the heating is on suggesting a problem with the heating system, could be anything from a programmer issue to a zone valve etc. Also potentially it could be the heating pumping over and that’s what is causing the overflowing pipe as well.
    Obviously it’s upto the OP to decide if he has the skills to do it, and if he does I hope it all goes ok :)