Leaky retro tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Les__, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Les__

Les__ New Member

Hi!

I've been having problems with a leaky tap in the kitchen sink. Unfortunately I cannot remove neither of the handles to check whether rubber warshers are worn out.
    The problem is this is a retro-looking tap that I cannot crack as to how to disassemble it.
    Upon removing the cap I managed to unsrew the screw underneath it... and that's it! I would expect the handle to be now easily removable but that is not the case.

Additional info: there are no smaller screws on the side (which is sometimes the case), the handle only moves 30 degrees to the fully open position.

Any ideas what would the next step be?

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-13 at 15.09.51 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-10-13 at 15.09.51.jpeg

2. Jiml86

Jiml86 Active Member

It may not be easily removed if it's as old as it looks, might just need gentle persuasion

3. Les__

Les__ New Member

I think it's only styled to look very old. In reality it is probably few years old.
    If by gentle persuasian you mean hammer time - it didn't quite work.

4. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

If the screw’s out now the handles should indeed pull off. Try the boiling water trick.

You won’t find a rubber washer to replace even if you do manage to get the handles off- it will be a quarter turn cartridge that needs changing.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Do the shrouds unscrew?

6. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

I'd just replace it and save yourself a load of mucking about. Dozens of similar ones on Ebay.