Lean to Pergola

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Robert99, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Robert99

Robert99 New Member

Hi, I have never posted on here before. I am looking for some general advise on a project I'm about to start. I am planning on building a Perogola that will be attached to the house over the top of French doors. I want it for a bit of shade, but mainly to keep rain out and look fairly good.

Approx. measurements will be 9.5' wide and 8' deep. I am planning on using two 4" posts connected by a single 2"x8" board cut into the posts and bolted. I then plan on attaching two ledger boards to the house with metal washers between the board and brick so water doesn't sit. The first ledger board will be around 9' high and be level with the posts. This will have 2"x8" joists hung on joist hangers both ends. The second ledger will be about 2' higher with more joists so as to provide an angled roof onto which I can add sheets on polycarbonate roofing sheets. I'll use a flash band on the top.

My questions are:

- Does this sounds like it will work or a load of rubbish?
    - Whats the best method for attaching the angled joists at both ends? (joist hangers or cuts)
    - Will having the flat and angled joists be too much weight? (I was planning on including the flat joists so I could attach something to provide shade)

Thanks,