Leccy Shock from a towel rail

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dangerousdistress, May 15, 2004.

1. dangerousdistress

dangerousdistress New Member

Hi Guys

I need a bit of help ASAP

I am currently in the middle of yet another refurb on a very dated house and in amongst everything I got married, and my new wife is now 9 months pregnant. Baby due anytime now.

I recently (2 months ago) put a chrome towel rail in the bathroom whilst doing some rewiring and tonight I received a small electric shock off it. I have done nothing of any significance to either the electrics of plumbing since. I tested it with a volt meter and nothing registered but it does concern me, particularly given my wifes situation. I have had a quick "feel" of other connected piping but haven't received any other shocks off either the rising pipes or other rads. None of the MCBs are tripping either. The pipework to the bath and basin is plastic.

Firstly, have any of you got any ideas what could cause the problems and secondly how could i locate any problem?
    Thanking you in advance for an urgent reponse.

DD

2. tgs

tgs New Member

What sort of shock? Was it just a brief jolt? It could be a static discharge from you to the towel rail.

If it was something more substantial then you need to consider bringing in a professional.

3. bilco

bilco New Member

Hi DD

I take it you don't have a RCD...It would trip in that situation if there was/is an earth fault.

There is a possibility that a heating element in your cooker, water heater, kettle or washing machine, is faulty and was switched on at the time.

If you have a volt stick or neon tester check the t/rail against those items being on/off.

If the rail remains live all the time, disconnect it and reveiw your wiring after testing the rail itself.

Then find a Sparky :(