LED Downlight - strange issue

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Tom Symonds, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Tom Symonds

Tom Symonds Member

Hi all,

when I touch the outer rim of one of my LED down lights it somehow lights up the LED’s slightly even though they’re switched off.

picture below.

Any ideas why this might be?

thanks - Tom

Attached Files:

2. Tom Symonds

Tom Symonds Member

UPDATE - this only happens when the Dow lights on the floor below are switched on and I’m standing above them

3. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

A similar thing happens to one of my low-energy bulbs - it occasionally flickers and illuminates slightly even when switched off at the wall switch. I’m not an electrician, but I’m sure one of those guys on here will explain fully. As far I understand it, I believe it has something to do with capacitance and is nothing to worry about. But I stand to be corrected by a qualified spark, please don’t take this as gospel.

4. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Yes, I believe it would be a capacitance effect in this case. A similar thing happens if you stand under a pylon holding a fluorescent tube, it lights up!

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

You need a load capacitor click here for more info screwfix do them as well see here it may be inductive or capacitive linking common with two way switching as switch cables longer, it does no harm, but in some cases flashes instead of just a glow, there is no standard amount a lamp has to by-pass so swapping bulbs can also cure it or make it worse.