LED G9 Bulb Help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RookieDiy, Jun 21, 2021.

1. RookieDiy

RookieDiy New Member

Hello, please can you help me with a new light I have purchased. It states only a max LED G9 bulb can be used on the four spot lights that come off it, however I am not a fan of LED bulbs even though I know this is the way it is going! What is the equivalent wattage in power of a 4watt LED bulb as I am looking at halogen G9 bulbs instead but don't want to blow the power so want to buy the correct wattage halogen G9 bulbs as I am sure they will still fit as is a G9 connection? Thanks for your help Becki xxx

2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Will depend on the light fitting you have purchased as to wether halogen bulbs are suitable?

Halogen Light Bulb Wattage LED Equivalent Wattage
    100 Watt 12 Watt
    75 Watt 11 Watt
    60 Watt 8 Watt
    50 Watt 6 Watt
    30 Watt 4 Watt

3. RookieDiy

RookieDiy New Member

Thank you Steve this was the light from Argos https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2582337 I thought these watt equivalents were how bright the light is so you knew what LED bulb to buy in Lumens compared to the old style wattage bulbs? I was hoping a standard 20watt G9 bulb would do the trick in each of the four spotlights? Just as long as won't overload it as all the fixture says is a 4W G9 LED bulb and it states that in the instruction book too, but surely it doesn't have to be an LED?

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Well-Known Member

The MAXIMUM halogen you cnn use in that are 4w. It is clear in the instructions - halogen watts are no different to LED ones although a 4W halogen will put out more heat and less light than an LED.

5. RookieDiy

RookieDiy New Member

So LED is my only option then they don't do a 4 watt G9 bulb in halogen I think they start at 28 watt in a halogen G9 type bulb

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

To use a G9 quartz bulb you must have a glass cover over the bulb, they normally screw on over the bulb, but with an LED these can be omitted. I have a 5 bulb G9 lamp caused real problems, in wife's bedroom so want a remote control, using Energenie light switches.

First problem is when switched off it would flash, so a load capacitor added, but then found it would shimmer, put in one quartz bulb it would stop shimmer, but really wanted LED, so wife ordered different bulbs. upload_2021-6-21_15-2-6.png there was a massive difference is physical size. The small original bulb the glass covers would fit, the new bulb no way would they fit. So the whole thing looks very different.

One of the new bulbs failed within a day, so I opened it up to see how made, the smoothing capacitor to stop shimmer was nearly as big as the other bulb. Clearly the problem with normal LED G9 is just not enough room for smoothing capacitor.

But you need a glass cover often look like this [​IMG]with G9 quartz bulbs as if when they blow you get ionisation it can explode and drop white hot bits of quartz onto the floor, also without the covers there are harmful UV rays, so must have covers.

The heat from a quartz lamp is well in excess to LED, so if designed for 4 watt LED than around 1 watt quartz to ensure no over heating, which will make the lamp useless. So likely no option but use LED as quartz are too hot.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Halogen lights have been outlawed by our friends across the channel, so you are not going to be able to use halogen for much longer anyway.

8. RookieDiy

RookieDiy New Member

Thank you for your replies, I think these LED bulbs just aren't fit for purpose, they are very expensive and no doubt won't last the hours they promise. I notice Screwfix do some G9 LAP LED bulbs with a 3 year guarantee but if they are as pants as their dimmer switches which the mechanism breaks after a couple of months I doubt they will be much good ha ha xxx

9. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The bulbs we got, 22019274 G9-69SMD, it seems every site says out of stock, maybe just for UK and Europe, as does not have watts or lumen marked on the bulb so should not be sold in UK.

The G9-small.jpg small bulb was useless, we tried others IMGP0870_1.jpg left to right cover for quartz, slightly larger LED, quartz bulb, very large LED and packet it came in. The problem is while trying to find a bulb you amass a load of good bulbs, IMGP0859-60.jpg mine fill a draw and more, all work, many brand new, and not helped when sold in packs of 4, 5, 10 etc. Still have packs of Asda BA22d pearl bulbs assorted sizes, got them then changed many of the light fittings to E14.

Last house I, really wife, decided the light was not good enough so 3 lamp chandelier swapped for 5 and single swapped for 3 so two rooms 16 bulbs, got the best as told would last years, Philips Sofone 8W EnergySaverT within a year 1/3 had failed, so wife got some cheap ones from Home Bargains, then more of the original failed, so tried some 3W Lidi LED candle, a little on dim side for reading so replaced with Home Bargains 5 watt LED candle which were great, however that has left us with a load of working but not matched bulbs.

As to head aches caused by bulbs flickering that is also a problem, although the large G9 does not flicker, there is nothing on the bulb to say which have and which do not have a smoothing capacitor fitted, and I have had 2 LED's fail in 6 years, so seems I need to bin a load of good bulbs.

There was a lot less waste in the days of the tungsten bulb.