LED lighting for alcove shelves ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mr Mike, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Hi guys,

Firstly, I'm a carpenter / joiner so forgive my electrical ignorance !?

Have just finished making and fitting some open faced cubby holes (basically 2ft x 2ft open faced boxes) in an alcove for a customer.

They want some small recessed LED lights fitting to light up the boxes. Any suggestions as to suppliers ? What voltage / strength (!?) lights ? How many per 2ftx2ft box ? They are to be plugged in at a socket off the ring main.

Many thanks in advance.......Mike.

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102500&ts=74351&id=91679

These with the holder would protrude well into or to much into the cubby holes but at 2ft x 2ft maybe there will be just enough light (using 1 per cubby) to add nuance to that expensive Japanese Porcelain Lady which will probably be in the cubby....it's all a question of space....maybe you can go in through the top and fit something like the below although the fire rating is immaterial in the case of LEDS

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD50W.html

Got the same thing to do around my bro's..although the cubby in this case is a defunct hot air heating thingy....thinking about this one myself also....so would be nice to know what to use.

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

4. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Thanks JP & Craig....

I had suggested halogens but she definitely wants LED's having seen 'em on a makeover show (!?), and apparently they were little diddy things no bigger than a 10p piece ?!

The first one you posted craig looks a little more like the sort of thing....definitely to be recessed and flush, with a low heat output (thought that's what LED's were all about).....but of course there's no bleedin' dimensions on the screwfix website !!!

I'll persevere......

Thanks guys.....any more ideas or links appreciated.

Cheers......Mike.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice one.....know what to use know for my bro's..SF forum at its best.....brilliant.

My ideas were ****..lol.

6. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Not at all JP.....you got the customer's intentions re: Japanese Porcelain Doll spot on ! :)

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

LOL....look nice those things..:)

8. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

My local wholesaler has just got some colour changing LEDs in. There actually quite bright, luxon I think, made by collingwood. The lamp plugs into a gu10 holder at 230v and all the electronics are built into the lamp including the reciever for the remote to set up the colour changing. The lamp costs £30 and the remote £10. Aparrently the remote will activate as many leds as its pointing to. The downside is although it fits into a standard downlight fitting it protrudes a good few inches out of the back.

9. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

10. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Try these. Cabinet lights as above, but LED, not halogen.

11. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member