Level deep parts of concrete floor without screed initially

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by RenovateMouse, Jan 5, 2020.

1. RenovateMouse

RenovateMouse New Member

Hi all,

I have a smooth concrete floor that is 12 m2 and drops/slopes by 30mm from the highest point to the lowest point.

I'm looking for a cheaper way to first fill the deep parts to say 5mm then level the rest with self levelling screed (deep filling with screed to 30mm will be far too expensive).

I've been vaguely told that there may be a way to first fill the deep parts using some mix of sand and cement, sbr, plasticiser, etc, then trowel to be fairly level, roughen up, then prime and screed the final 5mm, ready for ceramic tiling.

Does anyone know if this is possible and what steps, ingredients and ratios are required for the sand and cement deep filling process are please?

Many thanks

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Your main issue here will be getting it all to stick together and not de laminate, especially at the thin edges.

3. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

As stated above, and the sheer amount of extra labour/time you'd be looking at, is it not worth the extra pennies and just getting a deep base leveller and doing all in one? Will be a better end finish, and most likely won't work out THAT much more expensive?

I realise i'm not being very helpful here, i just wonder whether it's worth all the extra steps