Level floor Marley tile for lvt

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mattie470, May 7, 2020.

1. Mattie470

Mattie470 New Member

Hi there

Got a house with Marley tiles downstairs which has been stuck down with bitumen. That's all very level and apart from the odd tile that's come off due to carpet grippers seems to be very sound. My problem is there used to be a fire place which has been covered with some rubbery tile, I think asbestos vinyl, and these tiles are about 5mm lower in places, then the Marley tiles, there are also a few high spots where they are about 10mm higher.

Would I be able to remove the vinyl tile and grind the concrete flat to even it up, then use 5mm fibreboard as underlay then lvt.

Or do I need to remove all the chimney tiles, remove the high spots self level it then 5mm fibreboard?

Thanks.

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Well-Known Member

The Marley tiles and the bitumen adhesive may contain asbestos, it would be easier just to self level over the whole floor.

3. Mattie470

Mattie470 New Member

I had a builder come in and recommended removing the tiles and if it is level with the chimmney tiles then brilliant, if not self level. I've removed the tiles but my girlfriend(who has been to the property) is saying it smells musty in their and her moisture trapper has got water in it, there was none before I removed the tiles. Could they have been working as a DPM??

4. Abrickie

How old is the property ?

5. Mattie470

Mattie470 New Member

1960-1970's
    Ex council, semi detached. Had a dado rail up.

6. Abrickie

It’s possible then that you’ve just ripped up what effectively was the dpm, did you get the tiles tested prior to removal?

7. Mattie470

Mattie470 New Member

Brilliant, no I just saw that some were unstuck, and a chisels and a thump from my hand lifted them up so easily so thought better up now then starting to peel off over the next few years with people walking over them (albeit on top of the laminate).

Is this now a case of a 2 part liquid DPM just over the floor or do I need to remove skirting and up the walls then?