Leveling garage floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Carlosfandango, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Carlosfandango

Carlosfandango New Member

I am currently doing a garage conversion project and wish to level out my garage floor. The area I am leveling drops down, sloping towards to the main door by 0>50mm. I know I can use a self leveling compound, however this is going to be very expensive therefore was wondering whether I should put something else down first to bring it up a little before then finishing with a self leveler?

I was thinking of throwing down a concrete mix down the lower end to bring it up a bit but wanted to check to see if anyone had any other suggestions?

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Wickes Deep Base is your best bet.

You may need to dam it and switch to High Performance for the last bit though as the DB wont go down to 0mm

Or you could prime the floor with the proper stuff then put 90% down as DB and the final few mm as HP as that can go down to nothing.

Get trade discount of 10%, usually an offer on too and click and collect through Topcashback for an additional 4%

3. Carlosfandango

Carlosfandango New Member

Thanks - although taking list price at £19.99 a bag (20kg) it's still a pretty expensive option when it only covers 2.2 m2 @ 5 mm, considering I have to go up to 50mm. What would the benefit of this be over using regular concrete to bring it up and then regular self leveler to finish off?

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

All I know is that if I had to level a floor as you describe I would just use that Deep Base. You will be buying loads so the actual price should be nearer £13 a bag. I have done exactly what you are doing many times and it has always worked great. Its quick to use and go off.

Others can advise on the concrete side.

5. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

I recently leveled a floor of about 35mm difference with a bonded screed then a normal self leveling on top. Worked absolutely fine but that was one area of one depth and another higher there was no graduation between the two which is i think what might rule screed out in your case.

Just a DIYer though so never tried it but I know screed (bonded) should be a minimum of about 25-40mm so you wouldnt be able to raise it all this way as the thinner end of the "wedge" would just crack and break up.

goldenboy likes this.
  6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think the slope will cause the issue.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Any reason why it can't be done in timber i.e. Large firring pieces?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot of leveling compounds, Cempolay was one, you could add sharp sand to bulked it out for the deeper areas.