levelling a washing machine when under the worktop?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIY DRONE, Dec 1, 2009.

1. DIY DRONE

DIY DRONE New Member

How does one level a washing machine under the worktop? I know that my floor is way out under the worktop where the washing machine is but how do i get the washing machine level.

I can easily level it once i've pulled it out but then when it's pushed back in it jumps around like a kangaroo. What can i do? any tips?

2. threadbreeker

threadbreeker New Member

udjust the screw feet *

[Edited by: admin]

3. DIY DRONE

DIY DRONE New Member

such a comedian but thats easier said than done once it's under the worktop, yea i can keep pulling it out and adjust the feet but how do i know it's level you ***.

4. threadbreeker

threadbreeker New Member

with a level *

[Edited by: admin]

5. DIY DRONE

DIY DRONE New Member

but i can't get a level on top of the machine while it's under the worktop wiseguy

6. If you place a level on the floor where the machine will be and pack the low points to the correct level, the packers can then be measured and those measurements can be added to the height of the feet, shouldn't be far away.

spannerw likes this.
  7. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Or, if theres room, stick a square of ply in there. Level that and sit the machine on top - works particularly well with integrated machines.

Or - use the level vertically on the front of the machine - will tell you if its sloping up/down towards the back.

8. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

As hallbeck says use level on front of wm - sellotape the level to the front of the machine, top of level aligned with something horizontal on the machine (like the bottom edge of the machine's top). WM feet are usually easy to adjust in situ - especially front ones. WM only has to be lifted a fraction to free feet up so you can adjust them. Good luck!

9. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

I know on a lot of W/M's the only feet that adjust are the front feet. I can understand that the OP would like to have the machine level all the way round. Only way to do that is make sure the floor the machine is going into is level back to front. Sometimes it's very difficult to level the machine if the floor is out at the back. Only thing I can suggest is making sure the floor where the machine is going is level.

10. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Walesie, you can tell if it's a simple matter of it not being 'levelled' (ie: getting all four feet flat on the ground) or also to do with the floor itself being a bit springy by - rocking it.

If it rocks (try pushing and pulling at both top front corners and push diagonally) then your feet need tweaking. Should be fairly easy to see which foot it is that's not touching fully.

The w/m itself doesn't necessarily have to be perfectly level, just needs to have all 4 feet extended the right amount to balance it - all 4 feet pressing the same amount onto the floor.

If there's a fair bit of room between the top of the w/m and the underside of the worktop, then the best idea - as said above - is to screw a sheet of, say, 18mm ply down first. You should be able to pack this to get it level, so job done. Pack it well, tho', especially near the corners where the w/m feet will be sitting - no point having the ply springy as well...

11. DIY DRONE

DIY DRONE New Member

at last some sensible answers and no **** taking, who is that *** anyway?

can't screw any ply down as there's barely any room under the worktop so i'll try the spirit level on the front and sides and also try the rocking back and forth.

Ta

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

"who is that *** anyway?"
    It's the latest forum troll, probably Poncy/IWS X-

13. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Mmmmm it was fairly dumb question though.... ;)

14. fitero

fitero New Member

I am assuming the machine is in a run of units,if so,can you not take the plinths off and then play with packers,you will be able to see the back feet with a torch[not the burning oil kind]?.

15. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select