Levelling a wooden floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Michael Elwin, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Michael Elwin

Michael Elwin New Member

Hi, Ive just had a wooden floor laid in my kitchen. The builder charged me extra for levelling the sub-floor before he laid it. I went round to inspect it today and the level seems completely out, where the new floor meets the hallway floor.

Hopefully you can see from the pics below but it goes from a thin sliver on the left, to a thick wedge on the right of the door.

View the pics at this link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kb3SeEWP17cBjkX2YvFe7XjtHDnTkIB_?usp=sharing

Please can you tell me whether this is a problem. And if so, how should it have been done?

Thanks, Michael

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

They supposed to be the same level. Same flooring both sides?

I've cloned photo and uploaded so others can see. Hope that's OK..

Levels can be different a bit but that's quite a lot

IMG_20210726_204840.jpg

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How do you know it's not the hallway flooring that's out of level, the gap under the door looks fairly uniform, providing the door is hung relatively plumb. If he used self leveller then it's more important to get the substrate flat rather than level, which he may have done. Depending on what was asked, it would have been good practice to try to line the new flooring with the old as best as could be done, as what's there looks skewed and clumsy.