Levelling joists in upstairs bedroom - advice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by PoorbandTony, May 15, 2019.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Given that there will be several bolts through, are the toothed washers needed?

As for driving, have a good pilot hole, if you cannot get a standard drill in then use the angle drill to get them in as far as possible without over stressing the drill and then use a socket and rachet to finish or one nearly in the standard drill may fit.

2. PoorbandTony

PoorbandTony New Member

I did wonder about the toothed washers - esp. if I go the coach screw route which is looking increasingly likely. I'd read that they can be a pita to bite without a lot of clamping. Drilling-wise I'd also be worried about going off-centre as well.

So I think coach screws is the way I'm going to go. Doubt my ryobi driver is up to task though! I do have a decent socket set so I'll follow the advice - thanks! The coach screws say they don't need a pilot hole but I'll do one anyway. What would to recommend for a 10mm screw - 6mm?

3. JackWood91

JackWood91 New Member

This is great stuff. But I usually use another one - www.plyterra.com . I like their quality better.