leyland acrylic bubbling...

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Adamfya, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

anybody had any issues with Leyland acrylic bubbling in random places when used over oil based undercoat on walls....???

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Never use acrylic water base on top of oil based. How long has the oil base been on the wall.

3. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

oh how come?
    only about a week....

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You can use oil base on top of water base but not the other way around because the oil gases off causing poor adhesion for a water base paint and the bubbles are the trapped gas.

5. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

I see, so what would you use to go over the top of it?
    also thought it was a trick to use oil based undercoat over caulk before top coat to stop cracking and crazing...?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You need to get the acrylic off, it will probably wash off with warm soapy water and a scotch bright sponge. You will probably get away with painting over the undercoat with Zinsser Cover Stain and when fully dry use the Leyland acrylic. Try a test area first but I'm sure this will solve your problem.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I prefer adhesion primers over oil based paint, but a good de gloss with 180g and then a wash as surfaces needs to be clean, then I'd wipe over with liquid sanding solution prior to my chosen waterbased primer. Acrylic primer undercoat should stick fine with proper prep. Get the duck tape ect out and pull/peal it off then try again

8. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

thanks for the advice, im getting lost with this to be honest, people have advised to use an oil based under coat to combat problem walls etc... now im being told not to put water base over oil based...
    this wall was stripped, filled in places, patch plastered in others, got it fairly smooth, scraped away any lose or flaky areas, sanded the edges of these back and spot primed the areas with BIN, filled over the top and made smooth, primed the bare plaster with Gardz, painted the entire wall with Johnstones oil base undercoat, filled over any slight imperfections and made smooth. then I rolled on a couple of coats of Leyland trade acrylic, all fine .
    Then i rolled on a coat of armstead trade matt emulsion - it was only then that this infact bubbled in certain places - not mega bad, maybe 4 or 5 spots, I let it dry and all calmed down apart from one bubble. when I put the scalpel to this I could get down to what I think is the oil base....

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Has it bubbled to oil based primer or back to plaster.
    Think your problem may have been leaving something on the surface. Not getting it all off as needs to get the lot off back to good sound plaster.
    Acrylic primer. Fill. Sand. Primer. If stains or any bleed through then coverstain but leave a week to cure, then emulsion.
    Oil based undercoat you used has no stain blocking properties unlike coverstain.
    I used Johnstones waterbased stainaway now vs solvent if I can. Much nicer

10. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

oil based primer seems sound

11. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

to be honest I hate the oil based stuff

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A case of dubious information overload.

13. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Astra you are the one that put me on to using an oil based undercoat to cure all sorts of issues with problem walls

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That is totally untrue. Identify the post, you have obviously misread something. If you are referring to oil based primer sealer that is and would be used for a different problem.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Adamfya your post 22nd November re Gardz/Peel Stop, I recommended oil based primer sealer not oil based undercoat which is a totally different product!;)

16. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

oh *** really...… you mean I have been using the wrong stuff??

I stand in shame and corrected.....

17. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

do you have a link to what I should be using please?

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What was the initial problem with the wall that made you use product after product after product ?

I appreciate you’ve been seeking advice and may have followed some/all and/or got a little muddled

From your list of stuff you’ve hit this wall with I’ve noted;

Zinsser Bin
    Zinsser Gardz
    Oil Based Undercoat
    Acrylic Undercoat
    Matt Emulsion

So just what was the issue with this wall ?

ps. Does the room feel a tiny bit smaller now after all those coats :(

19. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

well, just removed wall paper and was left with a wall that needed a bit of filling and a bit of patch work with plaster, some flakey areas of paint etc.....:(

Kikixxx likes this.
  20. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

ok guys, so now you have established I've been using the wrong stuff and making a right pigs ear of this job,
    tonight, I've damped down the wall and scraped off all paint + acrylic primer right back down to the oil based undercoat. Apart from where ive nicked the wall with the scraper, the oil based undercoat seems to have adhered well to the wall and any filler or plaster areas...
    I was planning on leaving it to dry now, and then giving it a quick sand down with the d/a tomorrow night.
    I am a bit reluctant to try and remove the oil undercoat as I think it will bring half the wall with it!!!

Attached Files: