life begins at 40

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jon68, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Thanks for you nice comments. So unusual on this forum!

2. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

no probs lad.most of them are 6 monther's charging £450 a bath suite fit.1 a week would do you to start with wouldn't it lad.get your course done soon as champ and get your advert in paper like the rest of them.

3. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

I agree with Majr Leaky and that is exactly how I learnt this daft trade 24 years ago, and I am still learning as well.

I remember the books I had were by G Blower, I remember my dad bought me them for my birthday one year.

I think it is a shame peopl eare spendin gthousands for a plumbing course with little hope of a job at the end of it, as most plumbers are one man bands and won't take a lad on anymore as he will be competition in a year or so, were becoming a closed shop.

There is a govt enquiry on training courses from the private sector as they are concerned about the quality of the courses, they are just cash cows for the owners.

4. Preston_Pete

Preston_Pete New Member

well said pud puller .. ;)

your life.

Royal Bank of Scotland is doing rather well.

to look.

5. Major Leaky, excellent post if only others had the same approach.

6. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Patrick, you are just the sort of person, without a
    son to train, who should be willing to help the next
    ( and last ) generation to get trained. It will be
    free to you and will give you extra hands.

You remind me of that muppet in the Archers ( BBC R4
    ) a couple of days ago when offered free help to fit
    loft insulation by Bert replied:-

""I cannot accept your help, I am a one man band and
    want to stay that way ! ""

thanks for the kind words there Tony, none taken.

I have been a one man band for just 9 months, but I really do not wish to become an 'employer' with all the liabilities that that entails (esp Employes liability cover). I have enough work for myself only currently. Like you, I suspect, we know of the the shortages of skilled labour and how that gap is being filled ( I am NOT gonna rant about East European migrants, unlike many who frequent these pages).

To me being a sole trader means everything rests or falls on me, and if I need a day off, I take it, knowing full well it has to be made up by evening/weekend working, having a trainee with me (I do have a seventeen year old with me 'on-loan' just occasionly) can make that 'freedom' more restricted.

Of course there are situations where that extra pair of hands/eyes would be most useful, but I do not see how though it will be 'free' to me, just how do these trainees survive financially?

In my first post which may have started off jokingly, I did not wish the OP well, may I remedy that now. Best of British to you, and I do hope that 2007 is your year for change.

Patrick.

7. info@, I agree with you, been on my own for 6 years now, tried having someone with me 2-3 years ago.

They didn't/couldn't work to my standards, curtailed my freedom, etc.

I stand or fail by my efforts and my standards.

I had over 20 years of having people work for me in major national and international companies and the relief of not having to consider others plays a significant part in my work ethic.

Future generations of craftsmen and tradesmen need encouragement from the government to train and potential employers need encouragement to take on apprentices.

I for one would like potential employees to be able to read, write, do mental arithmetic and not have a phone stuck to their ear.

Employing people these days is costly with insurance and time. The H&S requirements alone would defeat me, COSHH, risk assessment, manual handling etc etc.

Sure as God made little green apples your trainee hurts himself, and hey presto claims against you insurance.

Rant over

8. Kitchens, just like Patrick, you are missing the benefit to you! You do not have to pay them! The experience and on the job training are of immense benefit to them.

They are not your employees and you choose to take them or not. If they are in any way not totally serious then you tell they you are not happy with them and thats the end.

You may have little experience but what you have is way more than what they have.

Before taking them you have to interview them ( telephone OK ) to see if they are likely to be acceptable and do ask them the questions about drinking/smoking and set out your requirements about timekeeping, switching off their phones etc. You call the shots or they are out! End of!

Its really very unfair of you not to consider sharing your skills. Its also helpful to you too. Take fixing a shelf, they hold the shelf, you measure and mark. On your own thats quite a problem!

Tony

9. When I finally get the chance, I would like to take on a couple of people, probably those with potential, but who have not shown it during the academic SATs, GCSE methods.

I guess that because there are plenty of people who are employed in this country, it must be possible to employ people on reasonable terms. I agree with Tony, it would be a shame not to pass the skills on, and they can be of help - but give them decent tasks and challenges and homework (study stuff), take them out of their comfort zone, but keep them safe!

Maybe there are grants, allowances etc. for a start up? Worth checking with Business Link probably.

I always thought that when I do get fully established, I would do some part P training, that seems more logical and easier to gain the necessary qualification than plumbing, and then run a small, honest, up front, likeable plumbing and electrical business.

Oh well, wishful thinking probably, but it doesn't hurt to have some positive ideas in this life!

10. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Tony, I do get your point about the benfits, to me, the trainee and long term to the future of the plumbing trade.

last month, at a trade counter (not a plumbers merchants, as such), the young man behind the counter said, "I would love to become a plumber, I've done NVQlevel 2, but just cannot get a placement". He was obviously, polite, erudite, literate, confident (employed full time, so capable of following instructions), in fact just the sort of young person I would not be embarrassed to have with me in someones home. He sent me a CV (I gave him a business card). BUT, I cannot really encourage him to give up a full time job (as he would have to) to come with me even 2/3 days per week. No sob story here, my heart went out to this fella, but just who would be supporting him financially?, he's only 19, probably got similar 'vices' that I had at that age that all require funding.

Patrick.

11. Preston_Pete

Preston_Pete New Member

after reading the thread heading ,
    Yes ..
    an spotting grey hairs already ...Pffft,

but 20 years sem ploy does that .. lol ;)

12. bleve?

bleve? New Member

but 20 years sem ploy does that .. lol

kin ell after 27 years in this game my hair has gone white what little i have left