Light circuit cabling

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Joel Cramoysan, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

You could be right, just thought a picture may help, that one I found easily.

terrymac likes this.
  2. Joel Cramoysan

Joel Cramoysan New Member

Haha yes they do but I've never installed them! My job is the maintenance of a million different things but I don't do installation... Plus the colours are different which doesn't help!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  3. Joel Cramoysan

Thanks mate, I have found a few like this and have an understanding of how it all works in principle, it's just trying to apply it to this specific scenario...

Here's a pic of how the switches themselves are wired up if that helps...

20220808_163714.jpg

So there's a 2 gang switch. One circuit (hallway) is switched with a single gang switch. One circuit (outside light) is not switched.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Cable B...2/4and 6 go from one switch to the other remote switch .
    Cable A...5 is switched live to external light.
    1 is switched live to hall light.
    3 is permanent live.
    As cable A contains conductors to both hall light and outside light ,the other end of cable A has to go to a junction box ( or similar) where it can branch off, taking the switched live on to the outside light ( together with a neutral of course). This will most likely be found at or near to the first ceiling light in the hall.

Joel Cramoysan and Ind spark like this.
  5. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

I think I got A and B mixed up.
    The other end of B should be in the other 2 way switch.

Joel Cramoysan likes this.
  6. Joel Cramoysan

OK thanks mate, reckon I'm just about there.

So forgetting JBs and the fact the hallway has 3 lights in the circuit, am I about there with this?

20220808_170004.jpg

Ind spark likes this.
  7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Get your coat on Indy !!!

Ind spark likes this.
  8. Ind spark

I'll leave you to it, it's hot ok lol.

Bazza-spark and terrymac like this.
  9. Ind spark

Looks good to me.

Joel Cramoysan likes this.
  10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Eureka !! I think you got it !!

Joel Cramoysan and Ind spark like this.
  11. Ind spark

So to the original question no you dont have a neutral as you now know.

When you get back to work you'll be wiring switches all over the place on the boats now.
    Your mates will be thinking whys Joel obsessed with 2 way switches all of a sudden.:D

terrymac likes this.
  12. Joel Cramoysan

Happy days!

Haha :D but yes good to know I don't have neutrals! At least now I know which kind of switch to get...

Yes a light went on (excuse the pun) :D

Thanks both for your input and help! Was just confusing due to colour conventions and just generally not having messed around with them before... Every day is a school day!!

So now I understand what I already have and how it works...

My intention here is to replace the two gang with a smart switch.

Given that they seem to be entirely different in terms of connections, and that I have the "remote" switch for the hallway, do you guys think that's even possible?

13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Why do I get a feeling there's gonna be a new thread "Why don't my lights work?" soon lol :D

14. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Not surprised if there is, I look at my switches and think just asking for problems, a 4 gang switch, first switch extra low voltage two way landing lights, second switch low voltage two way hall lights connected to one RCBO, next two switches outside lights connected to a different RCBO, so three neutrals at the switch, each one different, and a mixture of low and extra low voltage.

My worry with any question today is there are so many ways to do the same thing, and with electronic switches and relays, we have a mixture of voltages, with sensing wires, and wifi links, it is all too easy to wreck a switch or relay.

I know mine uses extra low voltage there is a big sticker DSC_6062.jpg but not a clue what voltage it used. And it does not matter off or on, it changes with change of state.

OK I know what is there, and how it works, but at 71 I will die and house will be sold, and some one will likely want to work on the house, great for me, as I make me and wife a cup each of coffee and come to stairs and simply say "hey google turn on landing light" and they turn on, but what about next owner, they could be Welsh speaking, what then?

Ind spark and Joel Cramoysan like this.