Light on permanently and switch controlling different room

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pheebs, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

At the switch is a 2+E cable. There are two present at the light. If there are no hidden junction boxes then one of the 2+E cables at the ceiling.

Trial and error is not the way to fix this.

You need to test to find out which cable runs from the ceiling to the switch (called a switch drop)

At the ceiling the red conductor of the 'switch drop' is connected to the other reds BUT the black is a switched live (should be sleeved red) and is connected to the browns of your fitting.

WARNING: your configuration is not standard which makes it very hard to diagnose of the internet.

This site might explain better http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/tag/radial-circuit/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

3. Pheebs

Pheebs New Member

Jay123 using the black cables as switch wires was what I tried at the very start, I have just tried again with no luck.

20201122_102142.jpg

The above gives me hall light and bedroom light not working at all.

20201122_102323.jpg
    This one gives me no hall light and a bedroom light on all the time.

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Right sorry about last post now ive seen the light put all reds in one terminal block that will leave two blacks,, one is neutral and one is live return from switch to light what test equipment have you got ..

5. Pheebs

Pheebs New Member

Comlec I noticed you said the black switched live should be connected to the browns on the light and I now have the bedroom light working as normal. Hurrah! So I am going to put tape on this black wire as I'm confident this is the black switched live. The problem now is the hall light is not working at all. Any ideas where to go from here?

20201122_104612.jpg

6. Pheebs

Pheebs New Member

This is the hall light wiring:

20201122_103750.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  7. spirits are real 2016

You need to remove the thick brown wire youve got going from light fitting to live terminal block that is not needed.

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

One of those single red conductors appears to be used as a neutral . The hall light has a red in its Neutral terminal.
    You need to establish which one of the two singularly sheathed reds it is. And then connect it to the black neutral at bedroom.

9. spirits are real 2016

One of those reds are the neutral which is connected to the live terminal block have you got a multimeter to use..

10. jay123

jay123 Member

no mate only one will be the switched live the other will be your neutral. Glad your sorted anyway pal

11. Pheebs

Pheebs New Member

It's all working happy days!! Thanks so much everyone for your help I really appreciate it. Tried one of the reds in the neutral and that was the winner.

20201122_111156.jpg

Do I need to remove the thick brown wire as someone suggested? Is it better to have the 3 reds going into the fitting?

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The three reds don't need to connect to the fittings terminal block ,just remove the brown link completely.
    Not a bad idea to sleeve both ends of the red used as a neutral with black sleeving or black tape.
    And the black switched live with red sleeving.

Pheebs likes this.
  13. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Well done.
    Bringing light to where there is darkness.

Pheebs likes this.